IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out last Sunday Halibut and Tuna fishing and when I was out south of Banana Banks my GPS gave up the ghost. Since my fish finder hasn't been acting well either, I've decided to get an all-in-one. Is there any recomondations for a GPS Fishfinder? (resonably priced of course.)

BTW: We were catching Tuna 12 miles out of Depoe Bay Sunday.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Furuno, easy to work, great warranty- easy to connect togeather and fair pricing

GPS 32 or 37 hooked to any fishfinder and they can be hooked into radar

Any of the fishfinders you like.

I use a Hummingbird Matrix 97 with GPS and chartplotter, as backup I use the Furuno GPS 32 linked to the 1623 radar.

·
Vendor
9,514 Posts
Ditto what Pah Hana said, separate units won't fail at the same time. Let's say your GPS dies in the fog. If you have a separate fishfinder, you can at least run back in by compass until you hit a certain depth, and then follow the depth contour back to port. This assumes you have a paper chart.

Alternatively, you could run in by compass to a safe anchoring depth, deploy the anchor, and call the Coast Guard to come get you in the fog. Your depth will be one line-of-position, and the CG can follow it until they find you.

If your combo GPS/fishfinder unit dies, you can't do things like this.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dont think Garmin makes a bad unit, check them out
I also like Garmin I have a all in one unit and use a hand held unit as a back up in case some thing goes waky but have never expierenced that. I use the 178C which is a pretty easy to use and inexpensive unit love it:bearhug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts