IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing on the Rogue has REALLY tapered off. I'ts been hot really really hot the last few weeks. Hovering right around 93 with jumps up to 104! This has to disturb the heck out of the fish. Besides all this the springers are all but done and the steelies are running a bit late. From what I'm told at least.
I did land the new "biggest trout ever" though. NO lies, dad witnessed along with one other gentlemen, a 24'' cutthroat trout. By far the most bueatiful fish I have ever seen! Anywhere!! That was too weeks ago. Spinners are all I'm fishing with these days, I don't know why but they are working like never before. I have really been tuning my spinner fishing techniques and it has pay'd off bigtime. I've begun things like casting directly upstream and reeling just fast enough to keep from hanging up, all the way to recognizing when and where and how to let it swing without going too fast or dredging bottom (you know that little lever on your spinning reel that lets it go both ways?) These and a few more have gotten me into fish that I never would have before. I really have to tip my hat to Flatfish. His comments on this board are golden when it comes to spinner fishing, everything from what water to where and with what. Obviously these are just some basics, but it you start there you will improve quickly. I know I have.
As for fishing for 30 something hours in a week that ended a few weeks back when I re-joined the work force. Earlier when I mentioned 104, now go work under the hood of some guy's car that just drove up from sacramento!! There are not even words to describe it. Right now a nice air conditioned desk job sounds wonderful, too bad.
All in all fishing has slowed down a bit but living is much nicer. It really is god's country over there. Now the wait is on for the steelies!

MH

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Bankbound,
This is traditionally the slowest time for fishing here. It only lasts a couple weeks though, so take advantage of it. Clean out the garage, paint the house, whatever is on the honey-do list at home. We only have a couple weeks to make a good showing at home by getting as much done as possible. It's a small price to pay for the other 11 months of great fishing. If this is your first season here for the summer steelhead, hang on, you ain't seen nothing yet :grin:

RF

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Straydog, I heard they had a pretty good late push of springers. I called over there Friday and they said nothing exciting as far as fall fish yet. I am heading to Brookings this week and still undecided if I will bring a boat or not. I will probably venture to Gold Beach regardless at some point during the week.

RF

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Anyone else thinking about those beautiful October fish that love to hit flies? I am...and it's not that far away. My son-in-law caught a nice 7 lb. hatchery steelhead last week. There should be a few to catch in 2-3 weeks below Shady Cove...but I'm more inclined to hit the North Umpqua this time of year while the Rogue slows down.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Your right Roguefisher, those Steelies aren't late, a little patience is all that is needed.
:wink:
There are also a lot more Springers still enroute although they get a strong case of lock jaw when the water gets this warm.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
RogueFisher,

I had some communication with a Gold Beach guide prior to the ODFW meeting in Shady Cove on Thurs.

He told me he is having more springer action than he has all season right now. In fact, I think that might be why he missed the meeting as he had planned on attending.

There are some 8700 fish above Gold Rey as of a week or so ago and ODFW predicts that is about half of what the total run will end up being....... There were two hundred some steelhead at the same time above Gold Rey.

[ 06-30-2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
631 Posts
Speaking of the ODFW meeting in Shady Cove on Thurs about springers, what shook out? Many people supportive of the regulation change or not? Any other options come up? If anyone has a summary off the top of their head, I'm curious. thanks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just to fish there is fantastic. As they say,"catching is just a bonus". That Rogue and it's tribs, is the most beautiful spot in this world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts