IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mal du Mer...Can't beat it. I'm doomed. Brand new boat, all set up for the ocean, friends' rarin' to come a with, and I can't do it. I just can't do it.

Now before all you veterans with the magic cures, mental conditioning advocations, and preventative premonitory maneuvers pipe in, I would like to say that I've heard it all, done it all, tried it all. You see, I am an Internal Medicine physician by trade and I've prescribed it all. I've researched it all.

Doomed, Doomed, Doomed.

If you get seasick, you will always get seasick. It takes about 3 to 4 days for most to get their sea legs, but 12 hours on shore and you're vomiting for another couple of days when you head back out(US Navy stats). The lucky seasickers can control it and function. The unlucky ones can rarely, if ever control it no matter what, and will likely never enjoy fishing on ocean swells.

For those of you that think it is psychological, I wish you were right. What is psychological is the fear of REexperiencing a severe episode of seasickness makes it worse when you attempt it again.....and as soon as that old Glassply with a 140 Johnson 2 stroke and concomitant blue cloud of smoke daddles by....its over the gunwale you go....talking to the Gub'nah...

Then, you finally come into port....Nausea improved, but tired and achy and sleepy and grumpy that not only your trip was a complete drag, but the "fun times promised" to your passengers culminates from pity to waste of time to coulda been somewhere else to thoughts of your puking picture in the gossip column as these friends leak the info to the public(usually makes a good story for someone).

Funny thing is, It's not the "roughness of the sea" I don't get seasick in chop, while some do. Its the gentle rolling of a 2 to 4 foot swell that does me in.

Doomed Doomed Doomed.

You'll probably see me in the bay.....
Kurt

[ 07-11-2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
Get accupuncture, I used to get pretty damn sick every trip, then I got accpuncture done and haven't had a problem in a few years (8). No it didn't hurt. I usually am not a fan of "new age or counter culture" medicine, but that at least worked for me.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I never used to get seasick as a teenager, but once I hit my twenties I became an accomplished chummer. In my own boat I never get sick, but in others I do. I almost Called Ralph once while on the Columbia below Bonneville!

The last few times out I didn't do the "technicolor yawn", but I felt mighty crappy.
As long as the boat is moving at a good clip, I'm fine, but the pitch-and-roll-as-you-troll routine will make me hoark.
That's my biggest fear in regards to someday getting a bigger, ocean-capable boat. I won't be able to use it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
bummer dude, i too get seasick. Than was a good description. I hope your friends dont post that pic here. Sleeping is one thing puking is another. That is why i wont ever get to Tuna town. I can handle ocean salmon in decent conditions thanks to Bonine working for me but not completely. Oh well just enjoy the inside.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In '79 worked for Coho Charters, I was laughing stock of all deck hands worked 21 days got sea sick 21 days some major long days for time we shut down to troll till coast guard station, it was a fast wack'em, notch'em, bait'em get'em out and puke and lay down wait for another customer to say FISH ON. Then clean them fish from Coast guard station to docks. Been out 3x since died every time but love to catch and puke.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ginger. Not Gilligan's Ginger , but the plant kind . I take it in "candied" form ...it seems to help. Any other remedies out there ?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
gimmeumpqua,

The patch doesn't work for you?

I have a buddy who gets motion sick on planes he's so bad.

He goes for tuna and sailfish in Mexico, wears the patch and it works well.

Brion

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,247 Posts
Meclazine (sp) too? I'm toast without it. Have a friend that is worse than me and now he can go over the bar and has a good day. I can even think about and actually EAT lunch.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I use to get sea sick when i was a teen ager but I was on navy subs for 10 years and I got over it!! you still rock and roll below 400ft trust me. Then throw in a 20 deg emergance blow from test depth. and watch the( dink non-qual pukes) :dance: blow chunks it was fun

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You know... There is this medicinal plant that some people use for Glaucoma and when they are on Chemo that is supposed to REALLY good for nausea. I'd be afraid of it's effect on the judgment center when out in the big blue, though. Does anyone know if the anti-nausea properties have been distilled out into a more legal form?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i used to get sea sick and throw up all the time , i tried all the pills and eating the correct anti sea sick way but none of it helped, what helped me cure it 100 percent was getting a good nights sleep the night before going out on the ocean. no more leave home at 2 in the am for me, i go the night before and stay in a motel. when i used to get tired out there it was all over. you sound like your in the same "boat" i was in, the lazy rollers make you tired and then you get sick.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I too used to get seasick, but only in rough seas in the ocean away from the horizon.
Once I owned a boat (about 25 years ago, I guess I developed sea legs. I've been in all kinds of nasty stuff, great lakes, chicken ranch, alaska. As bad as it gets and seem to do just fine, maybe my body just gets used to it, or my mind is convinced that I won't be chumming out there. I consider myself one of the fortunate ones. Sucks when I take somebody out and they get ill, I can still remember how lousy the feeling is. Just kill me!!!! :sick: My feeling though, is there are those poor souls who will just never spend time owning a boat of spending time in water that could bring it on. Hope you're not one of them. Good luck and hope you overcome the obstacle.
GBS

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
gimmeumpqua - why don't you list the remedies you have actually tried? I haven't heard of too many people who can't cure seasickness with one form or another - although I trust you have tried them all. Good old Dramamine does the trick for me, although my head is so full of cobwebs I rarely remember anything that happenned.... :sleep:

Here's the one's I've heard of:

Pills (dramamine, bromine, etc.)
The Patch
Wrist Bands
Ginger (candied, ginger snaps, pure)
Look at the horizon
Get sleep
Eat big breakfast
Don't eat big breakfast
Accupuncture

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am definately one to blow colors, but only when on charter boats in rolling seas. I do fine in small boats, or in fresh water. Everybody told me to try this, or try that. HA! It was kind of fun puking the pink benadryl liquid I once tried.

On a trip out of Winchester bay, we were headed out to the happy fishing grounds. My friend was at the galley, drinking a beer (at 0600 hrs!). The cook gave him a raw egg, which he cracked into his beer. I saw him drink that, and my honking began!

The only thing to ever help me was ginger, took it in pill form from the health food store. My throat was tight, so I did not puke, but I still felt terrible.

I do not get sick in cars or airplanes. For me, the 100% way to keep my lunch is to not go on charters.

·
Registered
393 Posts
After three times out on Tuna charters(36hrs included) these recommendations:
#1. Get plenty of sleep. Try for 8hrs.
#2. Have a plan as far as remedie.. (Transderm Scop)....Ginger...mental attitude(you Will Not be sick).
#3. When crossing the bar(usually it is pitch black)..look out to different lights and not guzzling beer.
#4. The waves are only waves....no big-deal..Huh!
#5. Alot of it at this point is "Knowing that you not going to get ill". Don't ever say sick!
#6. Doing good ... you're out there.. munch on crackers
#7. You look at the horizon(if you can) and say to yourself....... "I'm fishing now"
#8. You are cured

My eight-step ocean fishing program w/o seasickness.

Just my idea of wellness!
Roger

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Originally posted by boater:
i used to get sea sick and throw up all the time , i tried all the pills and eating the correct anti sea sick way but none of it helped, what helped me cure it 100 percent was getting a good nights sleep the night before going out on the ocean. no more leave home at 2 in the am for me, i go the night before and stay in a motel. when i used to get tired out there it was all over. you sound like your in the same "boat" i was in, the lazy rollers make you tired and then you get sick.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This also seems to be what I have to do. If I try to go on the ocean with little sleep it could be like a lake and I would blow. Rough ocean and chop I am fine, gental slow waves and watch out. The patch also works wonders, I have been thinking about one of those watch looking things that deliver a small electrical pulse to your wrist, they are supposed to be a god send.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I feel your pain!
Ihave been there.. and there is no. way around it! I have taken everything as well... ginger, the patch, dramamine, the wristband, none works for me...
I have to "work through it" I get sick in small swells.. 3-4'

That's why you'll find me in the Rogue Bay during the summer :grin: and boy did we have a great day yesterday! :grin: :grin: :grin: much better than 5 pound coho.. :grin:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I'm sorry folks, It's not in your head

I can fish down at the bridge in Astoria, along the Washington side, on a windy day, and have chop all around me. I can go out to buoy 10 and have it dead calm and I STILL get sick :whazzup:

I have tried Sleep, food, crackers, Alcohol, Trans Scop, Dramamine, Bonnie, Maclazine, Valium, Phenabarbatol, Ginger, Pressure points, ELECTRICAL SHOCK THERAPY, You name it I have tried it.

AND I STILL GET SICK.

I can blame mine on a severe case of Meniers Dz. I get sick on land too, though. :shrug:

[ 07-12-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: fishchaser ]

·
Registered
545 Posts
gimmeumpqua,
Since you are an IM, how about 4mg Zofran IV. 13 years in the ED, best anti-emetic I've ever used. Works great post anesthesia too. Sea sickness shouldn't stand a chance.

Jean

1 - 20 of 34 Posts