IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you get what you pay for but a year ago I got an Emap.Now I've put in Water ways bouys and lights. The problem is I was thinking I would get numbered bouys NOT.
I get FLR2.5S or FLE4S and so on.
Is there somewere I can get on line that will show me the numbers.
Last time I headed out with out a GPS in the fog to bouy 10 I finaly found it only to end up been bouy 6 :blush:

hope you can help Walleyed

·
Registered
846 Posts
get yourself a light list. Larger boats on the coast are required to have one on board, and smaller boats should have one or at least copies of the pages for the area they are fishing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use this site. Locate the chart that you want, find the light or marker and click on it and the site will show you the Lat & Lon ..look it over. Wright Angle

Marine planner

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
I went through this last year. See the thread from 02 archives.
http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=005638

There a couple links, including the marine planner mentioned above which is a good site. The Lights/Navigation book is 55$ for 10 pages of Oregon lights information, so I didn't buy it, but spent the time to do it by myself, as well as use marine planner and Garmin blue chart.

The letters tell you about the bouy. They tell you if it has a flashing light, whistle and duration: example 4 or 2.5 secondsd.

Heading to B10 without first double checking your equipment in advance trip in nicer weather , or seeking out B22, B14, B12 can be a grave mistake, by going to 6 you crossed the bar and that as everybody knows can be hazardess. You were nearly 2 miles off course!?

I would advise more play time with your equipment, and also deriving the Lat/Lon by yourself. You will get a better understanding of the map, improve your navigation skils, and getting to know your equipment better as well.

Make routes and practice them as often as you can .

gus

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
When I got my first gps I would (hand held that is) I would take it with me everywhere until I felt comfortable on how to read it.. you can watch what it does ect...
d

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.
Headed to check out pages Thx
Oh ya gus just to let you know,
I learned my lesson.When I found myself
at 6 I had followed Two other boats out and
in a flash one headed north and the other headed south.that's when I knew I wasn't going out with out a gps.Befor I put in the bouys I went out and got way points in, So you won't find my little 17' stryker out there agean.
:cheers:

[ 04-27-2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Walleyed ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts