IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as an FYI for anyone palnning on fishing the russian river for reds in the coming weeks. There is an abundance of bears this year, I have seen 9 bears in 3 trips. 1 lone black bear, 1 boar gizzly, a sow griz with 2 young cubs, and another sow with 3 yearling cubs. There is no need to sound the alarm or bring up a hip cannon, but use some common sense when walking the trails surrounding the russian itself. Walk in groups if at all possible and make plenty of noise. (talking loudly, bells, etc) Tonight I had a slight run with the sow with 3 cubs. Some dumbass kids from TX were walking in front of me and turned back around when they had walked within 10yards of the bears, then in an attempt to scare them off one of the bright ones started making a noise very similar to a growling sound. The sow got a little angry and started popping her jaws and growling back while trying to round up her cubs. I explained to the kid from texas in not so nice terms that growling is not the answer when dealing with bears. Our little discussion was loud enough to let the bears know where we were and they just headed off into the woods. I am sure that many others have some good advice on how to avoid conflicts with bears (keta). Please get some sound advice and use caution when hiking back to the campground.

[ 07-12-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
182 Posts
When walking in bear country hikers are advised to wear tiny bells on their shoes and watch for bear sign. One sign to look for is scat and the way to tell if it is bear scat is to look for tiny bells. :laugh:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good one, Marko. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
That's a bunch of bears WRO. In the years I lived there and fished the Russian we would only enounter the odd bear.

I agree with you...growling at a sow Grizzly that is growling at you is downright stupid. Fortunately the bear was smarter than those kids.

[ 07-04-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I fished it in 95' in Sept. Second run of reds was going through and the mouth was just like the postcard and photos you see. Wall to wall anglers.
We fished above with skaters for the big bows' and had a blast.
I was about 1/4 mile upstream of the mouth casting big dries and thought I saw the opposite bank "move". Nope, it was a BIG brown bear making it's way upstream, ignoring the reds and looking for silvers.
I watched it go up to a pool and settle in like it was sitting in a hot tub.
I decided to follow it and watch from the brush. About this time two anglers from upriver came tumbling down into the brush with me, very frightened. They were nice fellas from SF and were very funny, flailing about and trying to hide behind me.
I calmed them down and we watched the bear dip in and take three silvers while it just sat there. It picked up a fish and ripped it down one side then the other and tossed the carcass.
Fourth fish the bear bobbled it a bit and tossed it TOWARDS us and lunged after it. Keep in mind we are only 40 ft. from the bear. This was enough for all of us.
Me and my newfound fishing friends tumbled out of the bushes and scooted back towards the campground.
Another fisherman was with us watching unbeknownst to us and ran with us. He was an Airforce pilot stationed in Anchorage and fished the Russian daily. He told us later that the brown we watched was the biggest he'd seen in two years. 900lbs in his estimate and we were very lucky to have seen the show.
Another thing about the Russian, the bears are tuned to the sound of a screaming drag on a reel and WILL go after fish being landed.
Keep that in mind......

[ 07-05-2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Mad Mikey ]

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Hey Ryan,

Don't you have any bear spray? You could use it on the Texans :laugh:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I will be there too, but with a little more respect than the boys from Tx. A few years ago, I was fishing the bend about a third of a mile downstream, near the hiway, when a sow and two cubs sauntered down across the Kenai from where we were. Was kinda funny, watching everyone over there scatter as she worked her way downstream. Save some for me!!!

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
WRO-
I see by your avatar you got a picture of the brute! :laugh:

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i knew I needed it for somthing, although I generally reserve it for german tourists.

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went up last night and saw 7 different bears. I got stuck on the island at the confluence for 2.5 hours last night because bears were blocking the trail. They also had to close the ferry for a while yesterday because a sow and her three cubs were camped out on the ferry dock trying to fish.
If you end up fishing in the river be careful, that sow likes the lower river, and there is a 300lb black bear that roams the area around grayling that stupid tourists have been feeding salmon carcasses to.
Tilla,
My bear will bite you :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
i knew I needed it for somthing, although I generally reserve it for german tourists.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh:
I remember those guys. They were just starting to invade the area when I lived there 10 years ago. The Japanese faded away and were replaced by Germans.

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The sow I mentioned in my first post was killed on wednesday by a tourist who got scared and fired a very off mark warning shot, from what I heard. Not a good situation, and a new sow has laready moved in with her three adolescent cubs and taken up residence there. (definately a different bear) There was 2 fishermen chased into the river this week by bears. This is post is also geared toward the lurkers who have emailed me with question. Please if you are going to be up there make alot of noise, don't walk alone, and use some comon sense!

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 pump,
When I was 12 I pushed a japanese tourist in the river because he crowded me out too much. I mean she waded out in front of me 2ft and stood directly in front of me and then wouldn't move. Not one of my better moves. (young dumb and _________) The foreign tourists up here are a pain in the ass, but they do bring in good money for the local economy.
Anyone headed up here be careful.
tight lines
WRO

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bear story
Things have gone from bad to worse recently, with two bear attacks on the kenai in the last week and a half. The other occurred at morgans landing with a 12 year old boy being severly mauled.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bear incidents. I think I am going to bring a long equalizer just the same. How are the counts in the lower river these days? And how is the Kenai now for those big kings? Will be there Thursday eve.

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Dare I point out there's a similar Texan in the Whitehouse?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did u fish the Confluence Hole? How big were they? 1st or second run? I was there last year, did'nt come across one bear. I have heard stories though. I thought it was a good idea to pack my .44 mag. Those Reds are good eating! Enjoy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah... We were there last year and we didn't see or hear of any bears. We were up there in mid August though. We did manage to shoot something though. One of the idiots with us shot his dad in the leg while playing with his gun.
Please, if you are packing your heat, be careful with it... Sometimes, we are more dangerous than the bears.

Fish on.
Romeo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts