IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went razor diggin for the first time tonight with ProCastinator and friends/family. Great time! We showed up about 20 minutes later than they did and the four of them were already limited!

My girlfriend limited way before I did. She was gunnin and had a great time too. I used a shovel and that took a while getting used to but I limited in about 30 minutes with the guidance of the experienced clammers with us. Great times! Have them in a cooler with ocean water now - I put in some ice to cool the water down a bit. Plan on cleaning them early tomorrow am. Fried clams and chowder on the menu!

ProCastinator posted a report here with some more info.

StinkyH

[ 10-14-2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
StinkyH,
Seems weird typing your ifish name.. :laugh:
Would like to hit that area this evening for the 9pm tide. Can you give me some directions to that area..Gearhart beach. Will be departing from longview. Thanks for any help you can give. will check back later..off to find some CHROME!
Fshklr

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Fshklr:
StinkyH,
Can you give me some directions to that area..Gearhart beach. Will be departing from longview. Thanks for any help you can give. will check back later..
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Here you go - Vancouver to Gearhart, OR on Yahoo. You basically hit the beach access in this town. You'll drive to Seaside and then head North on 101 out of Seaside for two or so miles and at the Dairy Queen in Gearhart on 101 turn left(West) and head towards the beach - hang a right on Marion Ave(right before the beach) and head North for about 4-8 blocks and look for beach access roads to your left(West). Take the first beach access road you get too and head out on the beach. You'll see people diggin. Clam on!

StinkyH

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Anybody know how long they're going to keep razors open?

I'm looking at that low tide series later this month and wondering if I should plan a coast trip.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tonight, Saturday Oct. 11, the wind is forcast to be steady out of the south at 21mph gusting to 30. There is also a heavy surf advisory. I imagine it would be wise to wait until Sunday or Monday night? Any of you experienced Razor diggers have any advice when it comes to high surf and wind?

Thanks,

-Bottomfeeder

·
Registered
119 Posts
My experience with high surf and wind is that it makes the digging miserable. The pounding surf will drive the clams deep. Digging was good enough yesterday that I'm going to give it a try tonight anyway. I'm going to start a little higher on the beach, away from the surf line.

Jimmy,
I have not heard of any planned closures for the Oregon beaches prior to the usual summer closer. You should be fine for the next set of low tides. In fact, Washington is planning on opening most of their beaches for that weekend. See here .

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree with Procast, they don't show when the wind is blowing and they don't like the rain much either.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks for the regs update ProCastinator. Looks like I have to go ahead with that trip.

I was thinking of heading down tonight but man- 28 foot swells- I can wait on the clams.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
30 clams cleaned and ready to cook... boy, is cleaning them fun!
Think next time it'll go quicker I imagine.

From the sounds of it, doesn't seem like the conditions we had could have been any better.

Can't wait to go again. :smile:

StinkyH

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Thanks for the directions and the info :wink: ...after watching the 30 plus mile mph winds in longview today, looks like I'll wait for more favorable conditions :wink:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to wait until the conditions improve. Swells are at 12ft right now at the Columbia River Bouy, the wind is out of the south at 25mph gusting to over 30mph. Claming will be better later.

-Bottomfeeder

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nice picture of the clams! It is Ok to be out clammed by your partne. My partner always does me, I still win I eat more clams.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask were you clamming by the light of the full moon? If so that has to be cool :cool:

Yep that blanching trick works well. Used to scrape them out cold back in the stone age. I dont know if scissors or using a parry knife is quiker for me. Where is that happy as a clam icon/graemlin when I need it?

[ 10-11-2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: will_e_fish ]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Report for 10/11:
My brother and I braved the wind, rain, and high surf this afternoon in pursuit of our favorite delicacy. The beach was nearly empty when we arrived, probably due to the 30+ MPH winds and rain that felt like ice picks in your face. The clams were showing well in between the incoming and frequent waves. We both limited in about 45 minutes. The bigger clams came closer to the surf, but the wave frequency really limited the digging opportunities. You had to be pretty hardcore to brave the elements today. Off to the cleaning...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by ProCastinator:
Report for 10/11:
My brother and I braved the wind, rain, and high surf this afternoon in pursuit of our favorite delicacy. The beach was nearly empty when we arrived, probably due to the 30+ MPH winds and rain that felt like ice picks in your face. The clams were showing well in between the incoming and frequent waves. We both limited in about 45 minutes. The bigger clams came closer to the surf, but the wave frequency really limited the digging opportunities. You had to be pretty hardcore to brave the elements today. Off to the cleaning...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hats off to you for braving the elements and heading home limited out! Gonna make those that didn't go regret it. :wink:

StinkyH

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
LAst year about this time, the Astoria Seafood School had a demonstration about how to clean razor clams. They had an ODFW biologist show a technique that I was unaware of. Bring water to 185 degrees and dunk the clams into the water for about 5 seconds. Then immediatly put them into ice water. They will pop out of their shells!! Then the cleaning is easy. The biologist had the 8-10 clams cleaned quicker than I have seen anybody do it. I gave it a try this last opener in Washington and it cut my cleaning time down by at least half.

Clam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts