IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seams like I just saw a thread from someone asking about a season for razor clams but I did a search and came up with nothin'.

Can any one tell me if there is going to be a season this fall?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
David,
last year there was no razor clam season at all due to some form of bacteria in the shellfish. This year should be great providing that there are no restrictions. Oregon is open year round to razor clamming. Just look for a minus tide. Usually spring is the best time to go. Our family used to go to Washington, long beach or ocean shores/park area every year. If you have never done this before I would be more than willing to help you out. Just let me know. Best of luck.

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
DJ,
there is another post on here referencing the razor clamming closure. It doesnt look like it will open until October. Lund posted this message.

·
Registered
19,628 Posts
Sorry Kevin,but Oregon does not allow razor clamming year round. Not sure of the dates,but I'am sure it's closed July,Aug. and part of Sept.

[ 09-11-2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
I sure hope it opens soon. I'm down to one package left in the freezer. :depressed:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Dave,

A good link for Oregon and Washington closures and prospective openings:

http://razorclams.com/

BTW, the Chinook Indians of SW Washington didn't rely on biologists and legislators in Olympia warning about unsafe demoic acid levels. They learned to clean the clams of all dark matter thoroughly, and passed that knowledge along to us newcomers during the 1800's. My mom still cleans razor clams meticulously regardless of the most recent measurements. For decades, tens of thousands of us survived before the closures became fashionable a few years ago.

Dan

·
Registered
19,628 Posts
PHN,I had a simular mind set as yours,in reguard to razor clam closers. Then I joined ifish,and now I have a different perspective. Do a archives search on razer clams, with respect to domic acid levels.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
PHN,

Freespool is correct. You cannot cook, clean or soak domoic acid out of the clam. It is a water insolulable substance that adheres to the fat of the clam. In razor clams they have alot of fat marbled in with the meat. The only way for the clam to get the toxin out of its system is by either growth or spawning. Spawning usually occurs only once a year and growth is most rapid the first year when the clam can grow up to 3.5 inches.

Only the Clatsop beaches have the summer closure from July 15-September 30. The rest of Oregon is open year round if there are no toxin closures. There is a toxin closure for the rest of the Oregon coast.

Sounds as if WA might open their Longbeach clam fishery the end of this month.

Next year all people 14 years of age and older who harvest shellfish in Oregon will be required to purchase a shellfish license. The funds are dedicated to expanded toxin testing and food safety issues, improved enforcement, harvest management and an increase in public education.

Clam

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
“In 1991, a relatively new marine toxin, domoic acid, was first detected on the West Coast of the U.S. “

Hey Clamman, where you been hiding? I just noticed this on the WDFW site and the interesting side note about the movie; “the birds”. So is domoic acid simply a relatively new marine toxin? Or was it just first detected in 1991 on the West Coast?
http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/shelfish/razorclm/domacid.htm

An interesting side note from the WDFW site:

One morning in the summer of 1961, hundreds of crazed birds attacked the seaside town of Capitola, California. The birds "cried like babies" as they dove into street lamps, crashed through glass windows, and attacked people on the ground. Most of the birds were sooty shearwaters, a normally non-aggressive species that feeds on small fish and comes ashore only to breed. This incident fascinated Alfred Hitchcock, who frequently vacationed in nearby Santa Cruz. He included newspaper clippings about the Capitola attack in his studio proposal for THE BIRDS, which appeared in cinemas two years later. The agent responsible for the attack is now widely thought to have been domoic acid

And of course Washington domoic acid levels here:

http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/shelfish/razorclm/levels/levels.htm

Current status of Oregon beaches regarding recreational and commercial shellfish harvesting

http://www.oda.state.or.us/fsd/sea/status.html

I guess you got Kevin and Freespool all straightened out on the fact that the northcoast (Clatsop Beaches) is closed part of the year and the south coast is open all year long with the exception of domoic acid closures. But Kevin’s post was still confusing to me. Actually last year (2002) was a great razor clam year and probably the best most of us have seen in their lifetime. But then the domoic acid levels jumped up in October shutting it down and it has remained closed this entire year (2003).

Apparently the last test done a couple weeks ago were still up in the area of a hundred here in Oregon. Testing being done right now but I am not optomistic and it requires two consecutive positive test also.

I guess you said it best back in March; “Use any stored clams conservatively”.

Red Tide

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
DBD,

I have been hiding in the sand, just like a good clam should! :grin:

Actually, there are more than one type of diatom that can manufacture domoic acid. The specie found in 1991 was new to the area and very potent. The species that have been documented in the area for some time and thought to be native are not very potent at all and the bloom and consumption by the razor clam need to be huge.

Depending upon the most recent tests on the Clatsop beaches, there might be an opener in October. Stay tuned for any more info.

Clam

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
Thanks clamman. I look forward to your input.
Razor Clam Digger, (need to be better. Whole? what do you mean whole?)
Razor Clam Lover,
Razor Clam Cooker,
Razor Clam Eater.

[ 09-12-2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Meeting in Washington on Sept 23 to decide if there will be a season. Should be good if there is since they have not been harvested for so long.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, the clamming up here is great, and it is open twelve months of the year. You only get 60 clams per person, and they are big by any ones standards.

We have never had a "red tide" or any of that other stuff. I hope we never see it. It may be due to the colder water. I get people here at the Lodge all the time that just come up for the clamming. And there are plenty of clams for everyone.

Tight lines all, Kimmer.

[ 09-14-2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Howdy David,
If you decide to go this year let me know.
We go every year to LongBeach, and would be happy to show you and your lovely wife and daughter the ropes.
Give me a call too if they open the Clatsop Beaches at the end of September--I know those too :wink:
Have clam shovels and guns...will travel!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts