IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a buddy of mine out for the last day to see if we couldn't get one of them nice bucks out of estacada. First we tried driving for a little while and getting out when we seen fresh tracks croos the road. After only seeing one doing this I decided we should go down below the snow and start beating the brush. Where we went I have hunted before and I know that the bucks like to go there during the rut. So we headed back in and tried a rattling set up with know success. We continued a little further and I decided I needed to do a little paper work(sorry to give this much info but it is part of the story). So I set him up wind of me and I fell back a little ways. I did a few grunts and began raking the heck out of a tree. Then the fight was I on. I began rattling. After a few minutes I heard my buddy cough and then one more cough. I waited a couple of minutes and then walked over to him to find that he had just seen a 4point 30 yrds from him. He didn't know it was there until he coughed and then turned his head. He seen him for about a second while it turned and melted away back into the brush. By the time his scope was up he was gone.
I use to make fun of those dumb cough silencer commercials but I'm beginning to think that buying one just for times when your sick would be a good idea. This was his first year hunting and he almost got a wall hanger. At the same time It was my first nice buck that I have rattled in. This is why I call it a success because it was awesome to see the excitement in his eyes when I walked up to him.
Maybe next year.
Happy Hunting
Chris

· Registered
6,718 Posts
Be cautious while rattling during rifle season! Some guy got shot a year or so ago down around Eugene while rattling the last week of the season.

Also, be very, very careful! Rattling rutting blacktails is an addiction, and there remedy for the sickness! :dance: :yay: :dance: :wave:

sliverpicker

· Registered
509 Posts
I rattled in my first buck yesterday as well, with the same results. I was rattling in an alder stand, and in my case it got too dark to see. So I started making my way back out and as soon as I started moving and making noise I heard crashing brush and heard him jump twice. Never got a look at him.

Oh well. Tag soup for me. :rolleyes:

· Registered
3,424 Posts
I also hit it in the Upper Clack area on Friday. Made it almost to my spot but it was snowing so hard I had to move lower. When I was driving back down the mountain I came around a corner and saw the biggest blacktail buck I have ever seen - he just ran across the road and into the brush before I could do anything, not that I could have - major case of buck fever. Anyway, it was one of those encounters that will be in my nightmares for a long time. Sure was nice to actually see one of them monster blacktails though. Did try to rattle a few times but I don't think I did it right. Later in the morning had another really nice big fork come across the road and again I messed up. I think those deer are much smarter then me but your right, hunting them this time of year already has me thinking about next year. How many more days until opening day!
Frank

· Registered
3,061 Posts
I rattled up a nice little 3X2 on Wednesday morning. That's the first buck I've ever had come in to a rattling stand, so that was pretty cool. He circled around me on the upwind side, about 40 yards out. (Apparently he didn't get the memo about going downwind.) When he finally saw me he just started snorting and walked away slowly, snorting all the way. I wish I'd brought my camera.

Ni!

· Registered
256 Posts
My secret to successful rattling was learned for white tails; my buddy gave me some "tarsal glands" :bowdown: off a buck he had taken the week before.

I tried it on black-tails after I harvested my buck during a 614 hunt and it works! I brought in a forky in ten minutes after first light. The forky walked but the glands are in the freezer now. I will take them out next year.

A couple words about using tarsal glands: 1) never hang them on your body! Keep them in a couple sip-locks until you deploy them. Use latex gloves and bag them in the bag after you deploy them too. 2) Use cotton twine or mono-fillament fishing line and hang one about 24" from the ground on a twig and one about 60" from a limb.

When those things start reaking, watch out, cause he is coming in fast. He will go right to the lower gland. :yay:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.