IFish Fishing Forum banner

Ranger Tuna Westport Report

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  KillerBeee 
#1 ·
Our rag tag team showed up Friday afternoon at Westport for our 3rd annual tuna conquest aboard the Ranger run by Skipper Don Davenport. The team was a group of my friends from the Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers and a couple of nice fellas that came in from Seattle after 2 of our group had to cancel ath the last minute. Thanks Mark and Mike! We iced up early so whatever time we returned we could be ready to roll in short order.
Loaded the boat at 5pm and went to dinner after the skipper announced an 8:30 safety briefing on board. We got back to the boat promptly, met everybody, and got prepped to roll.
Departed the dock around 9pm and cruised over a nice bar headed to the tuna grounds.
The boat was well kept for an older boat and had plenty of room. Berthing arrangements were good for most with a few in the main cabin on side bunks that got rocked a bit.
Saturday morning Mark, Todd, and I got up early to fool with some Humboldt squid. When we hit the deck there was a large school of porpoise crashing bait all around the boat. They stuck around just about 'til the sun came up. We managed 3 squid that morning and 1 more that night. Bizarre sea monsters! Lost 1 jig by getting sawed off by a shark or porpoise.

The tuna fishing started off very slow. We trolled around for quite a while with nothing. Made some bait stops and things just kept happening in ones and twos.
The alternate Skipper, Jerry, kept saying that the bite would go on at 4PM and sure enough it started to really pick up just before 4 and went until dark. First day's tally......106.....The big fish of the trip came the first day and checked in at 32ish lbs. We fooled around a bit that night and caught 1 more squid before we hit the hay and slept like logs....
I was a wakened by the sound of the engine coming to life and it was already light. After a bit of trolling we got into a nice long bait stop that we pretty much stayed on 'til it was time to roll for the beach. We managed to land another 34 before we ran out of time.
I can't say enough about the crew. They were just awesome...Capt. Don, Bob, Jerry, and Shelly....Unfortunately Shelly torqued her back right off the bat and was down for the most part but rallyed to put on a nice feed on the way back. Seared chunks with sesame oil and seeds finished with soy and wasabe. We also did a little sashimi. No worries as the care of the fish was flawless! Ice and more ice was the ticket with loins that were pristine and bloodline removed. The final bags were clean as a whistle and we were all just tickled.Smiles all around!
Water temp hovered around 66 Degrees and we fished around the Willipa canyon area about 45ish miles from Westport.
Pics to follow as soon as my camera man puts them in my hand!

Thanks to all the participants and crew....2007 live bait tuna was a grand success!
Dave Bergeron(KillerBeee)

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Gary,
We saw you out there. Was that boat the Extractor? I saw it baiting up Friday night. That thing looked like a real battle wagon. I heard it belonged to a dentist?
That was a fun trip for sure and the canners are busy.
We took good care of the squid and blanched some then peeled-trimmed and ate a bit......Turned out pretty dang good. Amazing!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I'm still waiting for my cameraman to share the pictures. We've both been grinding at work and overtime with the canning. Hopefully we'll get some pics up soon.
Gary,
I expect the water will be decent for you and the ride out restful but maybe a long one. I am anxiously awaiting your results. Perhaps we'll run into your neighborhood or cross paths on Sunday morning. I'll be on a 26ft North River, code name S.U.....John, Mark, Paul from Scotty and I. FishNg1 is supposed to be in the neighborhood too so it should be a fun day and we'll have bait.
Good fishing to all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.