IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new rangefinder. I've been using a Leupold Rx-1000 TBR for many years and the electronics are starting to go on it. I would like to get something with a little better glass quality, and keep it about as compact. I split my hunting about 50/50 archery and firearm. I'm not a long-range shooter.

What recommendations do you have? Any ones that you recommend to stay clear of?

Registered
I have a nikon one thats about 14 years old still works like a charm but Im not picky either, I just want it to work and not need to be replaced.

Registered
You cannot beat the price, features and ranging ability of the SIG rangefinders. The new Kilo5k and Kilo 8k are beasts. The BDX line of rangefinders have on board ballistic calculators to 800 yards and will place remote markers in the BaseMap app.

Registered
My Leica has been perfect and always works better than my buddies' .... fill in any other brand name here...... range finders.

Registered
Wait for the Leupold to crap out, send in for repairs, they'll say they can't repair it and offer you anything else for at least 50% off, if not more.

Checkout "Backfire" YouTube channel, pretty good rangefinder reviews.

Registered
I鈥檝e had my Leica for at least 12 years and it鈥檚 still performing flawlessly, and it鈥檚 great quality glass.

Registered
I have a Leica 1000-r that started giving me trouble. It was a dozen years old and started reading about 10% off from accurate distance. Leica customer service suggested I send it in to be 鈥渆valuated鈥 at no charge, so I did. Two weeks late a brand new one showed up on my doorstep. Yes, I鈥檓 a Leica fan.

-Scott

Registered
I got a good deal on a used Leica 1,000 yard model and it has been excellent. I use it ll the time for non hunting measurements.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your comments and sharing your experiences. The Leica sounds like it'll be worth checking out. I also might see if Leupold will offer some sort of exchange for the one I have. It works about 90% of the time, but the edges of the digital readout is fading. And, I've never been impressed with the glass quality.

Brood stock
My next rangefinder will be a Sig. Tried out all the major brands, and the Sig were my favorite.

Buddy has a 2200BDX and that thing is incredible. It鈥檒l pickup non reflective targets at over 1k yards and have a range in like 2 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I have had a ton of them from Leica to Leupold....I got a Sig from a client as a gift....they are without a doubt the best one for the money in my opinion....very fast...very accurate....

I have both the Zeiss and Leica range finding binoculars as well....I would put it up with them for accuracy and speed of acquisition of a target

1 - 17 of 17 Posts