IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the archives and couldn’t find an answer so...

I’d like to fish Astoria just around the bridge and maybe the Church hole.

Does it make sense to launch at ramps in Astoria or Chinook and avoid the Hammond ramp? Is there a downside to these ramps that causes everyone to use Hammond instead?

We’re using an easy-to-launch 18'er with an outboard prop (not a jet). Looking at the river charts, I’m aware of Desdemonda sands, but it looks doable from Astoria. Am I missing something? Any and all advice is appreciated. (Feel free to email me if that’s preferred)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I don't know about lauches in Astoria, but the John Day launch near Tongue Point would be a easy run from the bridge....even in the afternoon, as it seems most days the river dosn't get as rough above the bridge.
The Deep River launch is a 7 mile run above the bridge on The Wa. side.....by road it's 5-6 miles east of Naselle on Hwy 4.

The Chinook launch can be a bummer :depressed: .... only load or unload 2 @ a time and on crowded weekends can be an hour and a half wait..... makes Hammond seem not so bad. :cheers:

[ 08-26-2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
450 Posts
The east mooring basin in Astoria is a good ramp to use. It is right by the comfort suites as you come in on highway 30. We actually launched at the John Day boat ramp this weekend to fish the ocean and buoy 10. We got to hammond and there was just too many people. I walked to the boat ramp at hammond and picked up our herring, and my partners went back to John day and picked me up in hammond. Just be careful we tried to cross above the bridge as the tide was going out, had to really pick pour way around the shallow spots in our sled.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Chinook can get very shallow when the tides are out. If the tide is out and it is your first going out of chinook i would recommend for you to follow someone out who nows how to run it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The first time I was going out of Chinook was in a friends boat. Neither of us really knew where the channel was, so we were taking it real easy. Another boat got tired of us going slow, so they speed on past. We thought "hummm maybe they know where they are going". So, just about the time we decide to start following them, everybody on the speeding boat leans forward, then they all start looking over the sides. Yup, they just slammed the boat full speed into a sand bar. We just kept on putting by. Moral of the story, the other guy isn't always smarter.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
chinook has markers follow them....the channel is marked for a reason......2 weeks ago i was in nehahlam bay and there was a guy high and dry....same thing follow the bouys and you'll be fine

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I always get a little confused going out of Chinook but I get confused easily lately. When going out what side of those little sticks do you stay on? Can someone explain how to run out of there?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
red right return......follow those rules and you should be ok......

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great information.

This skinny little stick-marked channel out of the Chinook launch, is it a short couple hundred yards, or a long ways? If the afternoon wind gets strong, and the waves really get rolling, will you still be able to see the marker sticks?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I have a hard time judging distances on water, but I would guess about 500 yds. The main red/green markers are large and well marked. I think a couple of the sticks had colored rags on them, but if I got confused, I would just hug the stick tight on either side. About that time I would usually see the stick marking the other side of the channel. I did fine even a low tide.

Your first time out, get your bearings on the way out. We ran up to the bridge on the first day and on our way back had a little trouble finding the channel marker. Heading out, the last green marker was clear, but where the red one to the east was not clear. Every day on the way in we would just hug the green channel marker to our left ever if it meant motoring another 100 yds or two.

Heading back in with afternoon winds coming from the port side can get a little wet. The channel is somewhat protected, but hitting someone's wake can kick up a ton of spray. We just took it slow.

jpat

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Good idea on the GPS to mark the channel. I will mark it on the way out. I know last year it got foggy pretty quick and made things tough.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Also a good idea to set a GPS waypoint off the main marker that marks the outside entrance to the channel. Sometimes the fog rolls in and it can be a pain finding that marker. If I can find where my kids hid the GPS, I'll post the coordinates I have, or maybe someone else has them handy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts