IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I was off base on something, I have been getting very frustrated at the boat ramp when things are busy guys will push there boats off there trailers and then procced to tie up there boats right at the dock were people need to unload there boat :mad: . See heres the problem, I find it very fast and easy to drive my boat on and off my trailer, when unloading I will drive over to the staging area and wait for my partners to put away the truck and load up totaly out of the way. It is realy hard when I'm unloading especialy when there is wind and current that will push me right into there boats :depressed: (ask Bob dawson he seen me do this at the camas ramp). I could use some feedback on this cause I'm starting to say things to people and I dont want to create a bunch of enemys this morning I think I offended a ifisher :depressed: he had a sticker in his window.

Oops that one bent the net!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with you. When people do that, they effectively turn a 2 lane boat into 1 lane. People need to think about what they are doing,I also don't feel that you are wrong in saying something to those individuals. By saying something maybe next time they'll move there boat to a better more user friendly location.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have run into this problem for years. People always tie their boats up-right in the way of other boats that are about to be launched! The other morning at Rainier, I had to stop half way down the ramp because of this-I waited nearly 10 minutes for his "buddy" to park his truck, walk down to the dock, arrange all of their gear, start the motor, and let it warm up! I was getting chees ed.

I didn't bother saying anything to them because I was there to have a good time and I assume they were too.

On busy ramps, especially ramps that require a fee, their should be a ramp attendant or someone directing traffic and getting on people that think they are the only people on this planet.

Go with the flow and keep things moving! Get your gear ready the night before--away from the ramp! :mad:

[ 09-05-2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I just have to jump in and give my $.02 worth .
Now my wife and I fish together a lot , She does not know how and doesn't want to learn how to drive the boat, And she will not drive the truck with a boat trailer behind it let alone drive it with a boat on the trailer or back it down the boatramp to launch or to load the boat. So what am I to do stay home and not go fishing just because I dont have anyone to drive the boat or have anyone to park the rig after I get the boat off of the trailer. The way we do it is I back the boat in and the wife has the bow rope in hand and she moves the boat down the dock and out of the way if no one else is in HER way. I go park the trailer and come back and get the boat out of the way if it is in the way. When I go to load my boat I park the boat out of the way , go get the rig back the trailer in , run and jump in the boat and drive it on to the trailer the wife handles the winching, I crawl off the front jump in the rig and get it away from the ramp. And I do all this as fast as I can so I don't hold anyone up any longer than I have to. Now if anyone can not wait long enough for me to launch and retrive my boat then they are in way to much of a hurry. I Pay my launch fee just like all the rest of you do, I have as much right to unload my boat and to load my boat as any one else as long as I do it as fast as possible.
DAB
Sorry for the ranting .

[ 09-05-2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: DAB ]

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys the other day I had 2 guys parked in the way they said they were waiting for there other partner to show up! :mad: :mad: I kindly ask them to please wait over at the dock.

Is it wrong to fish for food and not work?

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Remember it takes time to learn to do things associated with operating a boat. I used to think the guys that launched by themselves, drove the sled off, tied off and made it back to the truck in a minute to park were too cool. Now I can do that no problem, but it took me a while to learn.

Next time offer to help the guy out and pull his boat back and tie it off for him. Then give him a few tips saying that you dont want to clog up the ramp! :grin:

A little kind advice and some help go a long way!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I agree with you DAB. Not all of my friends, and my wife, are able to do this for me. I always make sure that my boat is well out of the way of anyone launching. We do pay to launch, just like the rest of you. A couple more minutes of your time is not going to ruin your day. Besides, the pucker facter of my wife driving around a busy ramp would be a factor of 15 for all parties at the dock :shocked: She tried to park my jeep and trailer at Billy Chinook last year, and kinda wiped out a nice custom trailer :mad:

We are all out to have fun :cheers:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree with you DAB. The point I was trying to make was the are people who take ther sweet time at the ramp. I take my wife and other fisherman who are unfamiliar with boat ramps and driving boats too. I do make it a point, just like you, to hustle and get the heck out the way.

The people I referenced had no sense of urgency and were flat out unaware of the other 50 boats lined up behind them.

Good fishing! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand what your saying I fish with my wife to she will not back the boat down or will she back just the trailer down but she will put the truck and trailer away this is handy cause I can still drive the boat on and off the trailer and get out of the way. It doesnt sound like you are the problem it is the people that sit there and tie up rods wait for people ect.

·
Registered
14,507 Posts
I am friends with a guy who has 10 times the experience I will ever have. This thread is about why I listen to what he says. Because he flat out knows better.

The folks at the ramp who tie things up know nothing is wrong, or could be improved. A kind tone and some carefully selected words will go a lot farther than red faced yelling.

We bought our first sled this spring. Before that we had a drifter. The launch thing is totally different between the two machines.

On one of our first trips out, Kruechief was beside us at the ramp. I still had not figured out how deep the trailer needed to be to put the thing on the trailer and get off the ramp. He gave me some simple tips( in a kind and non threatning way) and we got a bit quicker than we were before.

I tell you about these 2 folks because one helped me the one and only time I met him( Thanks krue!). The other , who is in the position to help more than he understands, will help, but only after pointing out what I have done wrong.

If you lead off with a critical comment, whoever you are talking to will most likely become defensive. John puts me on the defensive all the time. It is too bad, because he is the single finest angler I have ever had the pleasure of fishing with. But a poor teacher.

Be patient. Maybe some day you will need helpful advice from someone. When it happens, be happy if they are kind about giving their advice.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5-cents-
I certinaly was not refering to the poor guy by himself trying to unload his boat I have helped many of guys as they have helped me its the 3 or 4 guys in a boat just sitting there in the way! I just dont feel comfortable motering by trying not to hit them. :shocked: :depressed:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
well there are two ways i see this and both are fully true..

1. you should live you life, including loading and unloading boats so that you have as little negative impact on other people as possible. That said one should unload and load their boat as quickly as possible and try to keep your boat out of other peoples way who are doing the same..

2. anytime your putting your boat in the water you are doing so to have fun. We all should take a few deep breaths and acknowledge the fact that a few minutes of delay is gonna happen from time to time. No one is perfect and sometimes someone forgot to put their plugs in or are by themselves or with someone who can't back a trailer and have to back their own trailer down the ramp. All I am saying is that yeah everyone should do their best but also we should all be willing to cut a little slack and maybe even help somone out when we need to.. Our rivers are great places to RELAX!!! This can apply to a lot more than boat ramps too..

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
All good points. I used to be one of those "get out of my way and let me launch so I can be on my way" persons. Believe me it is much less stressful to relax and help out someone on the ramp than to get in their face.

A guy was unloading his boat the other day at Hammond. Just as he got it unloaded and tied up here comes four boats in to load out. I happened to be the first of the four. I could see the guy was getting stressed and others were losing their patience. We helped him turn his boat around and I calmly told him to relax and take his time. No one was dying as a result of waiting.

If you can't wait just a bit for someone else take up golf, please!

·
Registered
189 Posts
For the inexperienced or unskilled, or solo's, I can relax and let them learn, give them a hand if need be.....but the guys who cut others off...jam in line...doo all the impatient rude balogna are the ones who get my feathers on end in a split second. I have no tolerance for those guys. THey'll hear about it and it wont be pleasant. THis is supposed to be what we do for fun,, lets keep it fun. :cheers: JIgn

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm also with DAB,,I'm shift worker so I fish solo an also fish with my wife alot that wont drive or load the boat, but will help...I can load an unload unually fast,,I'm the guy runnin from an to my truck so NOT to clog up the dock..When solo..I Unload an tie @ the end of the dock, an stage in line to load,I will also help those who need help Hey We all have bad days! But God help the one that opens ther big mouth an threathins me aftera 12 night shift! :mad:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flatfish-
Good points on having kind words did you see were I asked the the guys to please kindly move over to the dock and wait for there partner to show up, kind words go a long ways they not only moved to the dock but moved out in the water to give us even more room. :smile:

Without patience were would we be.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I can tell you thier are some people out thier who dont care who they run over just as long they are first to the boat launch. Here is a story. During shad fishing on the willamette my brother backed the pickup down the boat launch at Sports craft marina. Thier was another vehicle beside me loading his boat to. Sportscraft has only enough room to load two boats a time. But a another guy thought differently When my brother was backing the truck down this guy starts to back his truck down between me and another guy that was thier my brtoher told the guy to wait and that thier was only enough room for two boats at a time. The guy got mad and started cursing and threw his pickup into forward with tires sqealing and left. I asked some other people thier if i had done anything wrong and they said no. You cant please everybody.

·
Administrator
41,408 Posts
This time of year, especially with the hot weather, there are a lot of boat ramp novices around. They're mostly earlier in the learning curve that a lot of us year-around fishers. Ski boats and pleasure craft also tend to have rollers instead of skids, which it appears to me don't let a boater power on and off the trailer. So, I give them more time, let them know that there may be a drop off at the end of the ramp that could catch their trailer tires if they aren't careful and whatever else helps them get in and out a little more quickly. I fish cuz I enjoy it. The last thing I really need is an angry confrontation to start or end my fishing day.

Another thing I try to do is choose my times and locations to avoid crowds. Sometimes that means launching a little earlier or a mile or two further away, but if it lets me do my thing at my pace, I end up happier. Try it, a little advanced planning works!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My problem is with the guys that get cheesed when they think you're cutting ahead of them to load your boat. They figure since they have to walk a half mile to their truck everybody should have to wait 15 minutes for them to return. They don't get the fact that if I get to the ramp before them,I should be able to load up and get outta there. If its a busy ramp there is no reason for everybody to have to wait for one slowpoke.

[ 09-05-2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have to agree with DAB and ICHY, but if you really want to get steamed, go to the Ridgefield boat ramp and see how many people tie down their boats and unload their buddies gear right in the ramp lane. Every time I have been there, it's the same story, some guy takes his time strapping down the boat and unloading with no regard for the rest of the people who are there at low tide to load their boats.
I am never in a hurry to get home after a day of fishing, and I'll sit there till dark if the tides still running, but it seems that the Ridgefield ramp may win an award for poor etiquette.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.