IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
edit:forgot to say the bullets used on this hunt were made by Mark Whyte of Mark Whyte Leather Works. I used the 250 grain "Big Lube" design bullets in .454 caliber with a .32 Meplat he sent me, made from dead soft lead" http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

I'm back from the very first Shiloh Ranch Airgun Hunt and let me tell you that I don't feel like shopping around for any other ranches any time soon. The first event of it's kind; it was a great success!
I will post more later as I got home a few hours ago at 3am and am ready for a good night's sleep. I will however say this right now. Anyone that doubts the capability of a big-bore airgun to take down big game needs to give P&P processing in Oklahoma a call. Just ask him what he thought about the damage done to the ram I shot with my .45 airgun.
When I arrived at the end of the weekend to pick up my ram meat he greeted me by saying "now what did you say you shot that ram with again?" I replied "a .45 caliber airgun". He just could not fathom an airgun causing such destruction, saying that the ram appeared to have been shot with a 30-06 producing an area of bloodshot meat on the exit wound that was as big as a pie pan.
Here is my representative Black-Bellied Barbados Ram. I felt no need to measure the horns as he is a trophy no matter what in my mind. His skull will be plated in pewter with his cape hanging below on the wall.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
250grainers are going about 650+fps. After I get a new breech cap it will put it out quite a bit faster (I'm guessing 715fps, maybe more) and should boost my power with a 250 grainer from 235 to around 285 ft/lbs of energy. My rifle is modified and the stock breech cap is getting blown out of proportion from the additional power, which has caused a 5/1000's space between the cap and the barrel from being blown-out that is allowing air to escape when shooting. An easy fix.

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
From his slide show it looks like 700+ FPS. Weights were 175 to 200 grains on the pellets so a bit less than a 45ACP.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As it shoots now roundball gets 850fps, the 180 grainers get 780fps, 200grainers 740fps, 230 grainers about 700fps, 250grainers 650fps, and the 265 grainers I haven't experimented much with the fill pressures but have gotten 635fps out of them so far.
A friend of mine has the identical rifle modded by the same person with a good machined barrel cap that will put roundball out at 927fps; so that gives you an idea what my rifle will do with a custom barrel cap.
I believe the heavier bullet is more important than a few more foot pounds of energy with a lighter bullet (to an extent). Also a large meplat is key to making the most use of the power available. The ram proved that to me.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Lewis and Clark did pretty good using airguns on there little trip across the US nice to see that they still work!!!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Probably too late now but that oversized grape sack would have made a great mojo bag. Get it tanned with the hair on and put a drawstring in the top. Perfect little bag for taking your mojo and juju along on your next hunt.:wink:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Big bore airguns are cool especially if you are into the history of them going all the way back to the 1700s. Lewis and Clark even carried a repeating one that was believed to be able to fire a 210gr lead ball at around 500 fps. You can read a ton about the history of the Lewis and Clark air rifle here:
http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

Butcher45 that is beyond a cool way to take that ram!

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Probably too late now but that oversized grape sack would have made a great mojo bag. Get it tanned with the hair on and put a drawstring in the top. Perfect little bag for taking your mojo and juju along on your next hunt.:wink:

GIVE IT TO YOUR WIFE AS A MAKE UP BAG. :grin:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Big bore airguns are cool especially if you are into the history of them going all the way back to the 1700s. Lewis and Clark even carried a repeating one that was believed to be able to fire a 210gr lead ball at around 500 fps. You can read a ton about the history of the Lewis and Clark air rifle here:
http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

Butcher45 that is beyond a cool way to take that ram!
Well thank you sir.

My goal is to go back twice a year (more like three) with a crew of airgunners and document the harvesting of big game animals on video with detailed information.
Then, after a sizeable database of documentation of successful harvests of big game animals with airguns has been established, I will make a presentation to the ODFW. I should hope that they would be reasonable and recognize and validate the BigBore Airgun as a legitimate tool to hunt whatever there is to hunt in Oregon. (Yep, I think something like my new friend's .58 Air Muzzleloader busting 748FPE with a 525 grainer will do quite nicely at 50 yards on a Rosie Elk!).
Stay tuned; I just got word that a custom made .20 gauge air-shotgun with an effective range of 30 yards is now being offered to the public. !!!Fern Ridge Hear I Come!!!
Who wants in on the Air Revolution in Oregon hunting? For now there is Varmints!
I'm after Coyote and Nutria using this round right hear. Devastators are where it's at in .45 for bigbore airgun varmint hunting! NOT a big game round (to volatile). But in .45 should be fairly nice on a coyote pelt as the exit wound is the burly part and this round shouldn't have one!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man why didn't I think of that?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 32 Posts