IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set out scouting last weekend with my dad for his ram hunt. We wound up digging up nine rams and learned a ton about the area. Couple pictures here of the biggest one. Still a rookie on the phone slope. We feel he is a nice example of the species and we aren’t going to worry much about scores but I got curious what you experts(I say that term loosely) might guess him for age and score- thanks! HPD

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
172. Shooter for sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,065 Posts
9 years old.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Good mature ram, high 160's, hard to know without knowing average base size for the unit. Great ram.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the theme so far. we had guess 165 ish and 8 or 9 years old. kind of re-affirms our field judging homework we have done. he was with several other rams, some of them really close to the same frame but he had obviously more mass than the others.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Looks like 9 years to me. 164.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with everyone else on age, 8-9. I would put him higher 160s maybe into low 170s. One thing to look for is the horns dropping below the chin line, ie can you put a broomstick across the bottom of his horns without touching his lower jaw, that gives you length which equates to higher score. His mass is good It just doesn’t look like he has real good length. A tight curl can be deceiving. They might look good but just not score well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with everyone else on age, 8-9. I would put him higher 160s maybe into low 170s. One thing to look for is the horns dropping below the chin line, ie can you put a broomstick across the bottom of his horns without touching his lower jaw, that gives you length which equates to higher score. His mass is good It just doesn’t look like he has real good length. A tight curl can be deceiving. They might look good but just not score well.
That’s a good tip! Had not heard that one yet

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hard to tell from just two pictures, but appears about 9, and likely score 165-167 ish. As mentioned, the curl might be a little tight, and the space between the two horns may indicate the base mass isn't exceptionally heavy, but a very nice ram none the less, and may be hard to pass up. When you see a ram with heavy horns, the bottom of the curl over 2" thick, and the horns hang well below his jaw line, you won't need much time to determine he's a serious shooter. Those rams are very obvious.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Seems a little short but that’s not all bad, it carries the mass all the way through. I’m thinking high 160’s possibly into 170 range. At the end of the day does it have to look you want, that’s what matters most.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
What a beautiful animal!

Reactions: hpd

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Looks like a darn twin to mine. I think the live one is slightly bigger. Mine went 168 and change.

Reactions: hpd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like a darn twin to mine. I think the live one is slightly bigger. Mine went 168 and change.

Wow yeah I see the resemblance for sure. Great ram no matter what. Deadhead bonus!? Awesome work man, I’m so excited to be a big part of my dads hunt. I think I may be more geeked out than he is haha.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
We found a number of ram skulls during the hunt. That one made the photo. It still sitting up in those rocks in the background. ODFW won't give permission to keep them.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
We found a number of ram skulls during the hunt. That one made the photo. It still sitting up in those rocks in the background. ODFW won't give permission to keep them.

Yours gets wider right out of the top of his head. That makes me think he's a little longer. Mine is 34 and change on the right side. Also, he looks a little heavier at the tips that mine. Probably a.little older. Mine was 7.5

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are quite a few small things to look for when field judging rams. I like to start at the bases. Do the horns come up before starting to curl back or do they immediately angle back from his skull, coming up before curling gives him more length. Then I look for dropping below the chin, then I look at a straight on shot. Does he "fill the box"? His horns should look like a filled in square box not a rectangle. If the box is filled in, he has mass all way through. notice in the straight on pic of the ram, you can see a rectangle, ie tight curl and lower score. Just some things to think about. Watch some Jay Scott videos on field judging desert rams. Good info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts