IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fished this rod? It is 9 foot and rated real close to the rainshadow 1141, with the weight slightly higher 3/16 to 3/8 v 1/16 to 3/8 with moderate action. I was wondering how this rod compares to an 1141 or a 1082. I was looking for something with a bit more backbone than an 1141 but still suitable for boondoggin.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Scooby I have not fished a 1081, but I just received a 1201 yesterday that was ordered by a customer. 1201 is 6 inches longer than the 1141 same weight rating.

The most requested Rainshadow rod seems to be the 1143, Plenty of people are using for boondogging. Did you look at the 1081 for the shorter length or the heavier lure rating?

If you dont think the 1141 has enough backbone I would suggest an 1143.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The 1081 has started to catch on down here on the SC
I really like it!
IN fact.. it is one of my favorite side drifting rods..If not my favorite!
Great for throwing light staff as we often do down here.. I think it fishes a bit bigger than the 1141.. it does have a different feel. still nice and soft! but not as wippy.. if that makes any sense. :grin:

I have landed some big fish on mine.. eeven a chinook or two!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at it for both the shorter length and the heavier weight. I only boondog once in while as I don't own a sled, but I do have a drift boat so I side drift and drift fish alot. In my opinion the 1141 is a little to whippy and whimpy for these methods and I was looking for a softer rod with a tad more backbone than the 1141, but not as much backbone as an 1143.

Thanks again for the input, I was hoping someone on this board had used one as it is fairly new in the lineup and I don't know anyone with one.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Where the 1141 comes into it's own is for sidedrifting using 10 lb main and 8 lb leader, you have a 2000 lb boat going one way and a 12 lb slime rocket going the other. The dynamics work out just right. Shorter stiffer rods can result in break offs for the enthusiastic hooksetter.The 1141 can outcast most (shorter) spinning rods, now that my buds have caught on and got 1141's. Thus the 1201, that 3-5 feet potential distance advantage. It's true that backbone can help especially from the bank. But, from a boat, it's all sport! Springer's are a gas!(So I hear)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts