IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what went wrong or if anyone else has had a similar experience. Back in Febr., I replaced my worn original equipment(9 yrs. old TJ) rack & pinion steering cable. Everything was great and worked smoothly. We have been out at most 10 times with no problems. Last Sunday while launching the system siezed up. It was an instant and complete failure with no warning. Left me locked in a left turn with zero play in the steering.
:whazzup: Luckinly was able to throw a line and get back with no mishaps. :smile: After removing the cable it still had zero play, and shows no sign of external damage.
I have returned it to the supplier, who has sent it to the manufacturer for analysis. If it had to happen, it happened under the best possible circumstances. It does make me a little nervous not knowing what went wrong, and is it possible to reoccur? I should have a report back in a week or two.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Was it the cable, or the rack itself? If it was the cable, it might have frayed or unraveled internally and jammed itself up.
If it was the rack and it locked all the way to the left, it sounds like it somehow over-traveled. Probably just a manufacturing defect. Pretty scary, though. Good thing it happened at the ramp!
If it was a different brand than OE, I'd be a little nervous, too. If it happens again, then you know you have a major problem, and you might be somewhere kind of, um, inconvenient. :depressed:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got my answer, a refund check is in the mail. Not sure exactly what the failure was, but definently a defect. I now have a new Teleflex cable to replace the Morse cable that failed. It hadn't over traveled, was only at 3/4 turn. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. The dealer was great
about following through and getting the replacement & refund.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts