IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at the joes shop showed me how to make up some leaders today, and Im out of the 4/0 hooks we got ( I only bought 10 to try this out) well I do have some 5/0 hooks that I can make barbless and use for leaders... is 5/0 too big for keeper size sturgeon???

· Registered
5,065 Posts
5/0 or 6/0 is perfect. Some guys use 9/0, but I don't like them as well. I've actually foul-hooked in one weekend with 9/0 than in one year with 6/0. Also, I use Gami Octopus for salmon and steelhead, but I don't like them for sturgeon; the shank is shorter than the VMC's (like they use on the Brad's pre-tied leaders at GI Joes), and I don't seem to get as high of percentage of hookups with them. Just my observation. Also, make sure the dacron leader material doesn't stretch (I bought some a while back that was very stretchy like mono, and my hookup ratio went down until I figured it out). Good luck.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for all the feedback, heading out this am for some keepers on the willy. starting st johns bridge and working up to the grain bins. read on this board that when the grain bins in pdx area are getting off loaded then the sturgeon hang out for the droppings...

Beefcake... on the dacron leader is it a brand that stretchs or just happened to be a bad roll... Ive picked up BRAD's little 10yd rolls and they seem to not stretch when Im cinching down the knots for the hook and swivel...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.