IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple quick crabbing questions. First whats the best bait to use when crabbing in areas such as Westport, WA and Second can I use the same bait oils that I use for Steelhead or Salmon such as Pro-cure herring or sardine oils and either inject them into the bait or rub them all over? Thanks

[ 06-11-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: grandsalami ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Crane Prairie BASS

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Any fish guts work good or if you don't have fish guts..just use chicken.

Z

·
Registered
516 Posts
turkey leg with a can of tuna (the kind in oil not water). Poke holes in can, put in bait box.

Or Shad

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I use shad. If I don't have shad, then I usually stock up on the arkansas road runners when they are on sale. You can get those 10# bags of southern grown chicken hind quarters for about $2.90 a bag on sale. Two hindquarters fill a bait cage about right.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Salmon heads if the seals are not around....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Usually turkey legs if seals are around, if not salmon heads or tuna heads or belly meat. The first time I used tuna I couldn't believe it, there was a oil slick coming to the surface and the candle fish were major thick in the water. Oh buy the way the traps were full, couldn't fit another crab in if you tried.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We usually use Mink carcasses. If you can find a mink farmer they will usually give you the minks after they are skinned. They work well and you don't have to worry about sea lions and seals. Cheep and effective.

-Blake

·
Registered
873 Posts
Shad works best for us. We never have added oil, just a chunk of frozen Shad. The commercial guys use Razer clams. If the season ever opens, I would never consider a Razer for anything other than myself.

Good luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My next question: Is there a such thing as too much scent. If I put a chicken or turkey leg with two cans of tuna in the oil. Would that work. Or is it like Sturgeon and the more scent the better? Thanks

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
hands down, shad is the best bait around. cut slices into the chunks to release extra scent and oils. Mink carcasses are great too, but hard to get, and really smelly. Guess that's why crabs get on the bait so quick.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many holes should I poke in the top of the Tuna can and how big should they be? Also I'm thinking of adding a small chunk of salmon, turkey leg and a can of tuna into a bait cage. Would that be too potent for them? or would it be fine. The salmon is from last year that I didn't eat.

[ 06-12-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: grandsalami ]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[ 06-12-2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: grandsalami ]

·
Registered
516 Posts
Grandsalami,

I use a single turkey leg and a single can of tuna and it is fine. After 4 hours I change the bait.

I don't think you can over use scent with crabs but remember fresh is better than old and rotten. To many people confuse scent with stinky.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about Anchovies? Will they work?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Grandsalami-

I use the screw driver on my leatherman and poke 3 or 4 holes on each side.

The salmon would be a nice attractor.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You may want to take a partner, line up 6 pots with a different bait and scent, I guess, build a bait buffet and document which does the best then let us know.

Good crabbing

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
shad and salmon great baits we also have used sturgeon bait (smelt,shrimp,anchovies) it works but like shad or salmon better Good Luck :cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts