IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I go about bending wire to make one of these..Anyone got a picture?
I have only seen the plastic junk you can buy at the store. I want to make my own out of wire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds intersting; I have not tried it myself. My thought would be to ask someone in the jewlery business, as they are really good at doing very tight loops on light wire... I wonder of they have special tools or jigs to do this?

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
BOE has the answer. You use a spinner maker. Too difficult to describe here fully but: You use one size larger gauge wire than you will use on the spinner, make a loop as normal then twist the wire back down the shank about 6 times, cut the loop off and pull the center wire out which leaves you with the twisted wire and tail end.

You use the tag end to come back up and around the twisted section kinda like a safety pin. Voila! Clevis. You slide the smaller gauge wire that will be the spinner wire through the twisted wire. Since the twisted wire was made of larger gauge, the hole through the middle is large enough to allow the clevis to spin on the smaller wire. Build the spinner, then add or change the blade.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Y'all need a change?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Here is an attempt to show you how to make a removeable clevis from wire. I know the photos arent that great, I missed the macro button on the camera and I did this quick at lunch time.

First bend a loop on one end of your wire

Then twist the long tail around the short leg several times

Cut off the eye and pull out the piece of wire down the center you twisted the wire around

Then bend the tail around the coil spring you made into the shape you want to hold the spinner blade and trim off the excess tail

The last picture is of a body with the clevis in place and a blade snapped into it.

[ 05-01-2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
very nice. i like it. i'm going to have to make some of those myself. it'll certainly cut down on the number of spinners i have to carry with me. four or five spinner bodies and a handful of blades. woohoo!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
additional thought I missed

It helps to use a heavier wire for the clevis than the body of the spinner, that way the hole down the center of the coil spring is large enough to spin freely on the smaller spinner body shaft.

Drachirs recent spinner making clinic is responsible for me knowing how to do this. I had never seen a non plastic, home made removeable clevis until I was sitting in the front row paying attention taking notes, hoping for a passing grade :wink: when I notice one of these in a tackle box on the counter and got curious.

Its a good thing Skein didnt show up to distract me, :rolleyes: the troublemaker would have probably been sent to dentention in the first few minutes anyway. :tongue:

[ 05-01-2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Bait o Eggs has that trick nailed down, maybe he will be kind enough to share? BOE, you out there?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Great for putting on a metal shafted spinner, but if you are going to put it on mono (like the prawn spinners everyone is using) I would stick to the plastic. Metal clevises on mono scare me. All it takes is one little burr in the metal and your mono has a serious weak spot. I have been using the small yellow plastic clevises all season and they work great. I usually even get my blade back after catching a fish.

[ 05-02-2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
the plastic clevises work just fine on the prawn spinner rig. however, i tried them on my casting spinners. on the bigger spinners (size 3-5), they tended to pitch the blade on the cast. on smaller spinners (<3), the clevis had enough resistance that the blade wouldn't work properly. i'll be interested to see how this setup works with smaller blades. i should have a report by monday.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If your not too handy twisting wire, you can check out www.**************.net. They have them for sale for about 50 cents each in small quanties. I'm sure that they are available all over the net with a little searching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts