IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trolling plugs, is it the weight of the main line or the speed you are trolling at that most effects how deep the plug will dive? I hope that is not a dumb question . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey RiverGirl,

Some of the factors in trolling depths are:

Boat speed - fast = shallow
Line Size - bigger = shallow
Rod tip position - One foot for every one foot
Lure type - deep diving, shallow, mid range
weight - in-line, dropper, snap-on, weight shape
and of course,
Currant - fast = shallow

Sorry just had time to post a few of the factors
Now it back too work,

P.S. For every foot you move your rod tip the lure will move on same --- Pro-trolling Book.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Rod tip position - One foot for every one foot

Can someone explain how this effects depth. I normally run my rods @ about 20 degrees up.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I normally put a lure on, drop it down a few feet at the selected trolling speed (depending on conditions) and see how it works. It's not the Weight of the line, it's the diameter, causing drag. Go with non-mono line. I'll share my preference via an email.

If it doesn't work, I change the speed or lure, or both. It's about the speed of the lure, the depth you want to be fishin', the current, and THE WIND pushin' the boat around...

If my rod tips are workin' like they should, and they're at the proper depth, whatever the plug/lure is, MagWart, Kfish, Spoon, Spinner, whatever... that's the Right Speed.

Good luck with it Rivergirl, and NO, it wasn't a stupid question... T

·
Registered
733 Posts
One of the best features of this forum Rivergirl is that everyones like minded, there is a sincere desire to help each other catch more fish or to do it more safely. I do not think there are dumb fishing questions, maybe a few that will garner a chuckle or two... but never a dumb one... ask away.... i am taking notes too. joco

1 - 7 of 7 Posts