IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I'm in the 1 week crowd as well. I'm also a firm believer of storing fish/crab buried in ice in a cooler, not in the fridge. Seafood lasts longer at 32-33 degrees than it does at 36-40. I do try to share or process it before a week, though.

I've left I left a few legs in the cooler just to see how long it could go before any new smells would pop up. 9-10 days is doable.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
When you steam, the cleaned Crab meat is not submerged in water so it is a lot less water logged and free of contact with the stuff that is released from boiling.
In over forty years I have cooked them every way. I sometimes boil cleaned Crab, and sometimes steam cleaned Crab. If the meat is not fully filled out steaming is the way to go as the meat is pretty delicate. I never boil whole Crabs, in part because of the demoic acid issue and mainly because the leftover Crab does not last as long in the fridge due to goo contamination.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I like it in a sealed large Tupperware in the beer fridge which is kept right at freezing.

You can't convince a few people I share with regularly that cleaning it first will last longer, they won't take it if I clean the crab, they want it cooked whole on ice. Only cleaning it right before eating and they store it that way.

I do it both ways, there's way too much goophobia around whole crab. Oxygen and temperature are much bigger factors.

·
Premium Member
19,579 Posts
I like it in a sealed large Tupperware in the beer fridge which is kept right at freezing.

You can't convince a few people I share with regularly that cleaning it first will last longer, they won't take it if I clean the crab, they want it cooked whole on ice. Only cleaning it right before eating and they store it that way.

I do it both ways, there's way too much goophobia around whole crab. Oxygen and temperature are much bigger factors.
You've never introduced me to your beer fridge. :cry:

·
Premium Member
19,579 Posts
It's about your age and still works great. I did however lose the shop mini beer fridge this summer do to heat stroke when it hit 110 here.
Old stuff is like that. I an't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was. About the mini fridge, did you give it a tearful burial? That's the least a man can do for his recently departed beer fridge.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts