IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some opinions on the shelf life of Dungeness crab? On Sat I caught, cleaned then steam cooked a limit. The cooked crab immediately went into large Tupperware containers and into the fridge. I gave a few to my buddy and he wants to have them for Thanksgiving dinner. That is 5 days from catch/clean/cook to eat. What are thoughts on 5 days for crab? Thanks in advance for the advice! - Jocko

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I go with the 5 day rule. If any fish or crab is not eaten within 5 days it is not fresh any longer. You take a chance after that and eat with caution. Most of the time it is OK just not fresh (your own interpretation) and may have some fishy taste.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
your good. We cook our crab backed then put into a cooler with a wire rack to keep it off the bottom and out of the ice melt water and a plywood shelf over the crab to put ice on. The ice keeps the humidity just right and with the plywood water coming off the ice stays off the crab draining to the edges. My wife hates the lingering crab smell in the refreg so this solves that problem and likely gives us better stored crab.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Lemon juice acts as a natural preservative if cracked. Should add a couple days. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
If kept on ice without soaking in water, 5 days won't be any issue. My rule of thumb for crab is eat in a week.
He's right, it keeps much better on ice than in the refrigerator, the same is true for fish. And that's easy to do this time of year if you keep the cooler outside. If the container isn't too large, you can keep ice on it in the refrigerator (fairly easy to do with fish, not so easy with crab), but it's easier IMO to keep it in a cooler.
ron m

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
There is a lot of seafood in the stores that is much older than 5 days. USDA tells people they should eat fish within 1 or 2 days of buying it. You know why? Because they let stores sell "fresh, never frozen" fish that is already 10 days old or more. (That's why if buying fish at a store, frozen is usually better if you are unsure of the source. There is a pretty good chance it was frozen within a day or two of it being caught)

If kept cold (below 40 degrees, the closer to 33 degrees the better which is why some people keep it on ice, even sitting on ice in the fridge) and clean (little or no bacteria introduced to it) cooked crab will keep 5 days easily. Maybe not as good as it was the first day or two, but it shouldn't make anybody sick.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Put me in the 1 week crowd. I've eaten a day or two longer but find SOMEWHERE around 1 week it starts developing an extra flavor and scent that isn't my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts