IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this idea brewing but i am not sure it's a good one.. I have for years wanted to get atidewater tillimook chinook on a bobber and eggs but have yet to pursue it till last weekend which was mostly a scouting/learning trip. I feel confident with the technique and what to look for in terms of holding water but I am a completely ignorant of tidal issues. What I am thinking of doing is floating in my non-motorized driftboat from Hwy 101 to the fifth street ramp. My thought is to put in sometime in the latter part of the outgoing tide then parking on a good looking hole through the low slack and first hour or so of incoming then row out.
I know that there will be some potential of having to put in some effort on the oars but what I need to know is, is the incoming tide too hard to row against?? Am I asking to be stuck out on the river till the outgoing tide starts?

Also would any of you more experienced tidewater anglers care to go? I'll even make lunch just bring your gear and a shuttle rig..

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Green Pirate and I tried that once. :shocked: :hoboy:

That's a looooonnnnnng row against the tide and wind. But it can be done, I think we took turns rowing about 1/2 way through the trip.

There are some fish in the that river, they just seem to be their typical darker selves this time of year.

The river to the north had somw nice chromers splashing about behind one popular tackle shop. Water was dropping fast, with some color in the deeper runs.

A good solid rain will push some freshies into the rivers.

Don't forget to get your TIP shirt and some scent from Marie when you're in town.

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Rob,

You will get your exercise. How about this, launch 101 early in the outgoing and fish your way down, take low slack at either 2 bit or the stum hole then you are close to the ramp at 5th st OR launch at 5th street, go down to the hospital flats for low or the hay rake/rip rap below Jack Salmon point and then just float/row back up with the tide back to the ramp. I have towed non motorized boats back to the ramp and have seen some pretty exhausted people on the sticks........... good luck

G

·
Originally posted by ******:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Originally posted by Stew:
I'll go with you Rob as long as it's during the week or on a Sunday.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:grin: </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What is it you're trying to say here Rick?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts