IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, me and the wife can hardly wait.......we are leaving Sunday to go up to BC for a few days and try our hand on the Vedder, Harrison and maybe Chehalis Rivers. Most likely we'll get into some chums and coho (hoping anyway). Now if I happen to get a nice hen or two, I of course would not want the eggs to go to waste. But it would be 1,2, or even 3 days before I would get back to home....depending on when I catch the fish. Can I keep the eggs on ice until I get home when I can cure and monitor them more closely? Or should I 'pre-cure'? them up there in BC and keep them on ice while up there and then finish them up when I get home or ???? Its been a long time since I cured eggs and I wouldnt want to screw em up :smile:

Thanks
Russ

[ 10-30-2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Fish_N_Russ ]

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have heard people say they wont fish with eggs that arent cured fresh the same day. Why not cure them there?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would bring a large tub or jar and quick cure. When I caught a fish I would bleed it then remove the eggs at the end of the day with gloves on, apply the cure and let them juice in the tub or jar. Each additional skein would be treated in the same manner. You can get several going from different days without harm. Just don't put to much cure on them and the eggs can sit in the quick cure juices for months without harm. Just keep them cool.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Read the Scott Amerman egg curing post on the front page of ifish. His curing method says to cure the eggs, then let sit at room temperature for 48-72 hours, flipping the curing eggs a couple times a day until the eggs reabsorb the juices.

Honestly, until I read that post this year, I did the curing in the fridge, but I've also seemed to have more bobber downs this fall on eggs cured with the room temperature method. I was concerned with molding of the eggs, but not any more. Now, I'm concerned with molding of all of the fish I have had to cut up this fall, and try to stuff in every remaining nook of the freezer.

It's your choice.

I vote that you should cure the eggs up there in B.C.

SKP

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by SeanD:
I have heard people say they wont fish with eggs that arent cured fresh the same day. Why not cure them there?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I tell you what - I freeze most of the eggs from fish I catch and cure them later, and they still work. I think it depends mostly on the cure and curing process, and good, clean, blood free eggs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts