IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Days just don't get any better than today did. Headed out this morning with the intent at least trying for a Trifecta. Had new crew with Willfish (both a Halibut and Tunagin), Trask2 and his lovely 11y/o daughter Amanda. Trask and Amanda have both been crew with me a couple of times this year now. :bearhug:

So we head out on an absolutly glassy ocean. In all honesty, I'm not sure I've seen it AS glassy any day this year as it was today. It was simply amazing. God gave us a gift today, and for that I am truely thankfu:applause:

We figured on hitting the same general area as yesterday to start out for the Tuna part of the Trifecta. (North end of the Banana). Put the gear in at about 58 degree water with narry a sniff clear upto and long past the Banana. We started hearing sporatic reports of jumpers being spotted and a few fish being caught further north, so we kept on trolling NNW on that beautiful glassy ocean.

Eventually we started seeing a few jumpers, and finally hooked up our first Tuna (can you guess which rod went off? Of course, the Magical Cedar Plug :applause::D). We tried casting on the slide, without much success. Had a couple of hook ups, but just didn't get'em converted and into the boat. Fishing was slow, to say the least, but we kept working and chugging along picking up a fish every now and then, but nothing regular. We got called into some better numbers, and trolled up and out further, still running with only 3 fish in the box.

We were pulling half a tackle store behind the boat, tried slow trolls 3-5kts, tried faster trolls 6-8kts, tried swim baits, tried clones, tried cedar plugs, all color combinations. They just didn't seem that interested.

Finally we decided at 3 (or 4?) fish in the box to go ahead and troll on back towards the Banana for leg 2 of our Trifecta. We saw a jumper, pulled up along side and cast a light rod Fish trap to it with an instant hook up. :dance:I'll let Trask tell of the grin on his face at pulling in that Tuna on a 20lb Salmon Rod. :applause:

Next we ran on down and found another jumper....this time Willfish managed to hook up on his Salmon Rod, and was :meme: around the deck with a huge grin on his face. :applause:

So, with 5 in the box, we're in Run mode to the Banana with watching for any jumpers on the way. Sadly we saw none. :frown:

Stage 2 of the Trifecta. We get to the waypoint I marked on the Banana, drop the gear and almost immediately hooked up a triple. One Halibut was smaller than a chicken. More cat sized, so back it went to grow up a bit. We gradually hooked up the other 2 Halibut for a boat limit, pulled the gear and it was then off to leg 3 of the Trifecta! :food:

Running in towards Depoe Bay, at about 75 fathom area, we saw a pod of Humpbacked whales giving us a show. There was at least 4 or 5 whales spread out over a good sized area with a couple of whales breaching completly out of the water. It was truely awesome, and another gift from God. While we were there watching the show, I noticed on the fish finder that there was a LOT of bait balls in the area, and the water was glassy smooth. I decided what the heck, so in went the Salmon gear!

We began with a pig of a Coho that sadly was a native and had about 1/4oz too much fin weight. :frown: We quickly began having hook ups about every 3-5 minutes, sometimes doubles. Lots of natives...a few trout sized hook ups, but it was steady action. We eventually ended with 7 keeper Coho (1 short of a boat limit). I only tagged a single since time was running late, Trask and Willfish had a 2hr drive home, and I had to pull the boat and get ready for work tomorrow.

So, total count = 5 Tuna
4 Halibut
7 Coho to complete the quadrupal Trifecta
And

1 double virgin cleared with Willfish on a first Halibut and Tuna both to complete the Pacific Grand Slam. I figure that since you can't legally keep much else anymore for the 4th species, a double deflowering oughta qualify as that home plate run. :applause:

It was truely a fantastic dayj, with wonderful crew. I'd highly recommend any of them, though I may require them to get clearance from me before I let them fish with anyone else. :D:jester:

· Registered
53 Posts
It's 10:45 PM. Just pulled in the driveway. This was the most incredible day on the water. My daughter Amanda wont quit talking about it. And yes... landing a tuna on a light salmon rod is....... incredible:passout:

Nancy thank you for another awsome day:cheers:

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Outstanding! :cheers: Truly an inspirational report, thanks for sharing.

· Registered
253 Posts
What an amazing day!

I've still got an ear to ear Grin!

A glassy slick ocean with porpoise and whales, the early morning run out, setting up the gear, the first hookup and the scream of the reel, casting to a boil and hooking up, an abundance of a variety of fish, simply an amazing experience!!!

After a blurry late night drive home, my mind is still on overload trying to assimilate it all.

Most important of all, the great people I got to share it with. trask2, it was great fishing with you. Amanda, you're a real trooper, way to hang in there!! And Nancy, all I can say is Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, you really made it happen. :angel1:

I can't wait to do it again.:clap:

· Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for the salmon report and numbers yesterday Sea Gypzee. Put 1 24" silver in the box and released 2 natives before heading home. I was amazed at the number of blue sharks on top of the water at the bannana
bank and on the inside while trolling. Thanks again

· Registered
207 Posts
Don't get much better than that!!!
Good job.....:applause:
I had to eat at RED SLOBSTER this weekend!!!:passout:!!!!

LipRipr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.