IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently invested in a 8hp kicker for my driftboat and will soon be taking it out for a run around. Since this is my first use of a drift boat with a motor I've got a couple questions for other ifishers out there that commonly fish with this setup. First, it appears a longer tiller handle is necessary due to the rower seat location forward in the boat. Is there a manufacturer of these extensions or do folks rig their own with PVC or some other material? Another question is anchoring. I primarily use a short anchor rope and pyramid type anchor for local river fishing. With the kicker I'll probably fish bigger water. What type of anchor system would folks recommend for anchoring a driftboat in the Columbia for summer/fall fish or in the Willamette for springers. When it comes to safety I'm pretty conservative. No need to take risks. thanks much for any info.
Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Get yourself 2 things. You'll need an extension handle for the motor, and a doel fin for the cavitation plate on the motor. The extension handle will allow you to up near rowing seat, and the doel fin will help keep the bow down. As far as anchoring in the Columbia, I did real well with a 30# cylinder animal anchor. It is a cylinder shape w/ tines around the base, just make sure you have about 200' of rope, and don't anchor in anything deeper than 40' of water.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
drachir pretty much covered all you need to know. some folks run a small rocking chair anchor, but if they need that much anchor to hold them, they're probably in water they shouldn't be in. drift boats are really squirrelly in faster water. buy lots of rope and an anchor float so you can drop off anchor to chase that hot fish. i doubt anyone uses the standard anchor puller in a drift boat. you'll have to haul it up manually.

u-jointed extension handles can be found at most of the local sporting goods stores, somewhere near the doelfins. get over having to drill the holes in the cav plate. the doelfin is a must for drift boats.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I Use mine pretty regularaly(Sp). I just add a bench seat in the back so no extension needed. Motor to where I go and set up anchor. These guys are right about anchoring in faster water because it is squirlly in faster water. I use only 100' of rope and try to anchor in no more than 30 ft water.

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
smily has a good point: if you've got hefty front seaters and/or can manage a good gear (weight) shift forward, you don't necessarily have to be in the rower's seat to run the outboard. you're just trying to keep the nose down and the doelfin will do a lot to help with that.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
US you will need to install a anchor bracket in the bow. They are kinda spendy but you really need one in the CR. Oh yea if you plan to hog line make sure you have some bumpers handy. People get real grumpy when you rub the paint off their brand new sled. If you plan to fish bouy 10 get a tide book and only fish the incoming tide , your kicker won't be enough power to fight the outgoing tide. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dear fishing friend:

Currently Fishermans Marine has the Ironwood Pacific extention on sale. It looks like a nice one. I only use my extension when I am moving from spot to spot. I use it because I like to get my weight more forward. For trolling I had Willie make me a storage compartment for the back with a slide for a seat. Contact me if you need more info on this seat.
I amchor my boat in the Columbia with lots of rope. I use a small rocker type folding anchor with a float. No problems except when the wind is blowing me from side to side.

Best Fishes

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Get a Jam Cleat anchor bracket and mount it on the side at your transom. A handle extension is very useful...as is the Doel Fin like GRB said. I stand when operating the motor (except in fast water)

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I'll use a small rocker style anchor in parts of the (above the falls) Willamete. But we are generally anchoring for the day and we could disturb others if we were to break free. The use of an anchor ball system reduces the pull on the anchor and helps you retie if you are going to "throw the rope". Not much good for pulling the anchor though.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
There is a company on hwy 224 east 205 just past Northriver (on the opposite side of the road) that sells prop guards. These have the fins built in and no drilling required to install.
Clackacraft....check their website to see what I'm talking about. For anchoring in the columbia or willamette, I used rocking chair and a bouy.

[ 07-15-2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: NEUTRON ]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If you plan to fish bouy 10 get a tide book and only fish the incoming tide , your kicker won't be enough power to fight the outgoing tide.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If you plan on fishing bouy 10 in a driftboat you should seriously consider a therapist. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
:cheers: Tanner, you said what I was thinking. Know your limitations with your DB. Hitch a ride with someone if you want to fish big water, and make it up to them with a drift trip when the rivers allow.
Personaly I use a 16lb rockingchair with a buoy and have 300 ft of line on hand. I find running a small trolling sock off the back when anchored helps keep me a little straighter in a fast cuurent.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Im with Tanner. Dont take a Drift Boat out to Buoy 10. There are some spots on the Washington side where you can fish close to the shore that are suitable for drift boats. Husker can fill you in on this.

Ive been taking my Willy to Rooster Rock for oversized. Current is mild and im not far from shore/launch.

Been anchoring in 50' of water with my Pyramid anchor. Bought the ball and slider for pulling up the anchor with the motor. Not necessary, but fun.

I also got the storage seat/box from Willy with bracket for seat. Very expensive.

What ever you do, buy the fins!!!!! I also keep my rear anchor in the bow along with my front anchor. If im alone, Ill throw a third anchor in the bow to keep the nose down.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Originally posted by smoky:
Ive been taking my Willy to Rooster Rock for oversized. Current is mild and im not far from shore/launch.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Oversize in a Driftboat??? :shocked: :shocked: Couldn't even imagine a 10 foot fish next to my 15 foot boat......

"Dude, you're gonna need a bigger boat...." Roy Scheider - Jaws

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I used a 25 # rocker, 300 ' of rope, socks to stay straight,a crabfloat for the excess anchor line, and an anchor pulling system for dragging to anchor up.I fished everywhere from the Sand line on the Willamette, to Frenchman's to Government Is on the Columbia.

I always used to boat to pull the anchor, no problems for me, but I also had tons of practice. I could drop that drifter by myself into some pretty tight spaces. Use bumpers for hoglines, and pop out your oarlocks. Try to allow more than enough room between you and the boats on your sides, you will swing side to side, even without the wind blowing.

I used a camp chair for driving, fold up style was easiest to stow, and bought a handle extension for $15, but never used it. Never used the cavitation plates either, but I hear they work.

Personally, I never went any higher than Camas, current was a little strong for my taste. Fished the Megler Bridge once, not recommended for the weak at heart or driftboats, those tides turn fast !

Good luck, feel free to email me if you have any more ?'s .

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the usual great advice. I'll heed your warnings about bouy 10 with a drifty and also your cautions and advice about anchoring in big water. Much obliged. See you on the water.
-Chris

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Ok ok I ment the fishery bouy 10 not the navigation bouy 10. Given the right weather I see nothing wrong or unsafe about fishing 20 or 22. Always wear your PFD and keep your eye on the boat traffic, meaning stay out of the shipping channel. The DB maybe slow but she is seaworthy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts