IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is there some sort of seal that would maybe go out and make the motor louder,or is my hearing getting more sensitive??I was on the sandy on sunday,and when I was going back to the ramp my motor just sounded louder.I did'nt hit anything so what could be the problem??
It's a 1997 Mercury 115.

[ 06-10-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
sounds like you sucked a little stick or somthing up into your pump and its stuck in there, put the motor in forward and look into the jet outlet and see if you can see somthing in there.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Better check your oil gas mixture. Make sure you are getting enough oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think that was his intension. If the oil/gas mix unit malfunctions, delivering more gas than oil, the engine could get louder (less lubrication). The effect would be a lean-out. For a short period of time it may feel more powerful too. Then it gets really quiet... :shocked:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
JUSTCASTN, BOATER IS RIGHT, YOUR EXHAUST COMES OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE JET WASH, A ROCK THE SIZE OF A DIME IS STUCK IN THERE. PUT THE THING IN FORWARD TO GET THE REVERSE CUP OUTTA THE WAY AND LOOK IN THERE AND YOU WILL SEE SOMETHING PLUGGING IT UP....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I had Tom's Outboard in Olympia do a general tune-up on my 150 Evinrude jet and check my oil system that mixes with my fuel automatically. I had the old system and the oil pump was not giving a consistent mixture. I did notice my motor sounding louder. He installed a new pump. Wow! I use more oil but the sound is less and my motor runs smooth. Fortunately I caught the problem in time. Over the years I would be looking at a major repair bill. I would suggest if you don't have a stick or rock stuck in your jet to have your oil pump checked out by a good marine mechanic. If you don't want to continue using the pump you can disconnect it and mix your own oil/gas. Some people choose to do this as they don't trust the automatic system.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I bet you have a rock stuck between the exhaust tube and the inside of the pump outlet, suck up some rock and this happens all the time....funny how a little rock can make your motor so much louder :shocked:

Is the motor pulling or pushing one way or the other?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Rags,
Tom and his folks are great people and mechanics!!! Not only that he gives ya a fair deal also. As for the oil injection systems.......well I cannot print here how I really feel about them!! :mad: Between our old motor being undersized for the boat and problems with the oil injection pumps on it (it was a 115/80), lets just leave it that the motor on our sled died way to early. The new motor hanging on the back is like yours (150/105) man what sweet running motor. Both were Rudes' Oh ya, I mix the oil now, no worries whether that %&*[email protected]@%@*^[email protected] oil pump is working or NOT!!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff :grin: :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts