IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a chukar/pheasant hunt yesterday with a buddy and my little yellow lab female, Kali. This is her second season and eventhough we hunted a "new to me" area that has been pounded (guessing by the number of hulls and wads I picked up)and the very few birds we encountered.....she did great.

She quartered well, stayed in range and found the few birds that had not been pushed out of the area. I just wish my shooting was as good as her flushing :smile:

This was her third hunt in as many weeks and I just wanted to brag on her a bit (last week she got her first wild pheasant)...sorry I don't have a picture. She's really turning out to be a great dog much to my relief (the old campaigner is on the bench with a couple of knee surgeries). Thanks for listening

-Gettin' Birdy

· Banned
5,336 Posts
Good for you guys. I remember my 2nd and 3rd season with Alex were hit and miss. Especially on ducks, He would be red hot on one day, and not interested the next.

Now he is all over it, but it has been 6 seasons in the field, and 7 years together.

All of those hunts and great memories (sometimes of alex chasing the deer off into the next valley about 2 miles away) /glad we broke him of that with some help from DT collars.

Anyway, Savor the time hunting with that dog.

Seems like it goes by so fast.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went through the jackrabbit phase with my older lab and thankfully so far Kali just isn't as interested in jackrabbits. She's really turning into a great dog but much of that is what she got from her parents, not me...I just need to keep her in the birds.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My older lab already gives me "the look"....crazy thing is last year I started noticing quite a few birds flushing my way. At first I thought it was a coincidence, then I was hunting with a buddy and he noticed half the birds flushed were flushing at us. Seems that Maggie has so little confidence in my shooting she was flushing birds back at me on purpose. She'd scent them and then look to see where I was and around she'd go until she was on the other side of them and flush! I just wish she were healthy enough to teach Kali that same trick. Hopefully after some rehab she'll get to have some more goes at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.