IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we've been talking about prospecting for new locations Ive been pouring over charts...

Tgere is what appears to be a massive broad and flat sea mount about 30 miles off shore, about 10 miles north west of the ranch. It shows 400' on the plateau and drops down to 500' on the sides, 600' on the west edge. Anybody know of this or prospected it?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
It's mostly hard bottom. Lots of rockfish & lingcod. But lots of yelloweye too. Lots of snags from both the bottom, and other broken-off gear. Some halibut. It's a large area.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's mostly hard bottom. Lots of rockfish & lingcod. But lots of yelloweye too. Lots of snags from both the bottom, and other broken-off gear. Some halibut. It's a large area.
Thanks, Mark. 😎

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I programmed those coords into my gps chart plotter and its saying thats daisy bank??
N44 39 12 /W124 44 09

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
672 Posts
I fish there for halibut almost exclusively. You have to know the exact spot to fish though. I also get some great results long leader fishing there. And, I almost always start my tuna trips from there. The south knob is best for halibut and the very north end is best for long leader. The middle is where there are too may yelloweye rockfish. It's a tough spot to fish but it can be productive. Sometimes the yelloweye rockfish are all over the place and make it unfishable, at times. I stop fishing it after I have to descend more than one fish. I've learned that it is a waste of time. A few years back, I went there in January looking for big lingcod but ALL of my bait gotten eaten up by great big chinook. I think we caught 10 or so and finally ran out of bait then went home empty handed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fish there for halibut almost exclusively. You have to know the exact spot to fish though. I also get some great results long leader fishing there. And, I almost always start my tuna trips from there. The south knob is best for halibut and the very north end is best for long leader. The middle is where there are too may yelloweye rockfish. It's a tough spot to fish but it can be productive. Sometimes the yelloweye rockfish are all over the place and make it unfishable, at times. I stop fishing it after I have to descend more than one fish. I've learned that it is a waste of time. A few years back, I went there in January looking for big lingcod but ALL of my bait gotten eaten up by great big chinook. I think we caught 10 or so and finally ran out of bait then went home empty handed.
Dang... I love a challenge. That makes me want to prospect out there even more.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
A few years back, I went there in January looking for big lingcod but ALL of my bait gotten eaten up by great big chinook. I think we caught 10 or so and finally ran out of bait then went home empty handed.
Eric, those 10 fish you caught may have been a special fish known as “silver lingcod” back in the day.....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric, those 10 fish you caught may have been a special fish known as “silver lingcod” back in the day.....
😂😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts