IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size propane tank would you use for a heater on your driftboat? The bigger tank which is a 5 gallon/20# tank or the smalller 2.5 gallon/11# tank? I'm also going to use the tank for a industrial two burner cook stove when camping so I'd like the tank that I purchase to be able to be used for either. I will be doing the camping and drifting on seperate trips so the consumption of propane should not be a huge issue unless those types of cook stoves use a ton of propane. My camping trips usually are the three day type at most and my drifts will be day drifts. Any comments would greatly help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooker, My boat is a 16ft. wood drifter. I plan on having the tank just to the left foot of the rower and behind the passenger bench. I did buy a big tank yesterday( but would take it back if not needed) and set it in that position to see if I would have enough foot room and it looks like the tank would leave me about 5 or six inch's of free space between the tank and where by left foot rests in the foot brace. Of course the smaller tank would give me more room or so I think and I might be able to use the smaller tank up front for the passenger. I guess that would be courtious to them as I've never really been to cold as I've been oaring and active. I'm also wondering if the smaller tank would be to big for the front and I would need to look into the fly deck type Mr. Heater? To many options. I'm just trying to get helpful imput from you who've been there done that.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had a 2.5 gallon tank and it worked well. It would last about 12 trips between fill ups. You might want to look into one tank with a "T" and running heaters off the front & back using the same tank.
I now use a small catalitic heater ($79) that uses a one pound propane can. I refill my one pound cans from my 5 gallon tank with a fill kit I got from GI Joes. I like to have as much room in my boat as possible.

Best Fishes

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cully,

I also have a 16' drift boat and I use a 2.5 gallon, low flat tank. I suggest this one for a couple reasons:
- The low profile tank will be more stable, especially while going through rapids. I wouldn't want a hot heater knocked over!
-2.5 gallons will last you a long time. If you know there might be more than average usage, go buy one of those disposable propane bottles for less than a couple bucks for back-up. The bottle is small enough that storage shouldn't be an issue.

I also went out and bought one of the Mr. Heater fly deck style heaters you mentioned. I haven't used it yet, but I think it will work great for the front passengers! I'm usually the guy behind the sticks, so I am almost always plenty warm.

Hope this info helps!

I always wanted to make a 2-3 day drift with the family, do you have any suggestions?

Tight lines!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
[
I always wanted to make a 2-3 day drift with the family, do you have any suggestions?

Tight lines! [/QB][/QUOTE]
Float the Klickitat From above the Town- to above the Indian netting station. Pack the tent and gear and steelhead rods!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got a 16' Willie with two "mister heaters" running on a 2.5 gallon tank. Lasts two days because we usually only run them in the morning. Unless it's winter steelie time :cool:

Chris

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
No way...there are refill kits, I didn't know that was allowed..

Are those Mr. Heaters enough heat. Mine burner is 15,000BTU and those are only 3-5K aren't they, doesn't seem like that would do the trick. I was going to get one, but that discouraged me.

gus

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hooker, A great 3 day drift and the only one I've been on was on the Deschutes from Pine Tree to The Mouth. I had a friend who is much better on the oars and knows that drift really well do most of the oaring. The drift was pretty, plenty of campsites and mostly pretty intermidete water. A couple of class 3's if i remember right and an stretch called rattlesnake that's involved rowing too. All and all that run is to advanced for me at this point. I've only been behind the oars for a about a year.
Thanks all who responded to my questions. I'm taking the big tank back and getting the 2.5
A great book for drifting the the Deschutes is Handbook to the Deschutes River Canyon, Amato Publishing. The Amato books also inculde good guide books for another rivers as well. Rogue etc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Before you take the big tank back, think about the stove that you want to add to your gear. If you start cranking out 2-3 meals a day with a 30k btu stove,(if you are a hard-core camper, that's what you probably want), you are going to go thru the short tank real fast.

Maybe you should consider two tanks, 1 of each size? That way you'll have a fall-back spare if you run out of gas halfway thru dinner, or if our little power grid out here in the west fails and you want to cook dinner.

For about $30 you can buy a "tree" that will attach to either tank and allow you to run 3 appliances concurrently. Thus, you can park a lantern on top and run a stove line too. That leaves a third outlet for your propane-powered laptop so you don't miss ifish!

Just my .02. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Old Coot, sooooo many options. I'm glad you chimed in. The more I think about it, the more I see in options regarding propane purchases. It's nearly endless. I'll just add equipment as I go. I'm glad I'll be kicking around in campsites and on rivers for another 30 years, so I can buy all the goodies.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
cully, here is an alternative option for your day drifts from my brother firefighter, fire in the hole. He uses a large christmas tree stand with the tree supports removed as a brequet holder and places a dutch oven into the briquets. We light up the briquets first thing in the morning and then place the dutch oven into them. muffins or biscuits in tin foil can set on the lid of the dutch oven. By lunch time all is ready to go!! all of this sets on the bow of the drift boat while we fish and drift all morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts