IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished all last weekend with bobber and eggs and had so much trouble with my bead pushing through my bobber stop. My set up was like this:

Bobber Stop
bead
corky
bobber
bead
in line weight or swivel and weight
leader
hook

When my bead would push through, my hook would become snagged on the bottom and I'd end up losing my set up and having to start over. All in all, out of 4 hours on the river, I spent maybe 1 hour actually with my hook in the water.
Thanks for any insight into the bobber world.

·
Premium Member
14,486 Posts
it's either a bigger bobber stop or a bead with a smaller hole. i've always used a barrel knot for my bobber stop and a small red bead above my float. we're going to need more info. what line are you using (mainline and stopper knot) and what knot are you using for the stop?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Try a smaller bead and look at the link below on "bobber stops" (or is it float stops, I'm so confused :grin: ) Especially check out Nanooks reply on bobber stops.
Bobber Stops

[ 10-17-2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: skrimmy ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Nah! What does ****** know about anything? :grin:

What is the purpose of the corky? Also, I always tie another bobber stop knot below the float. That way when I do hang up and break off, I get my bobber back. It is always disheartening to watch the bobber merrily floating down the crick.

[ 10-17-2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thumper's right about the lower bobber stop to avoid losing the whole setup if you do hang up. Also, if you're using the pre-tied stops that come on little straw I like to double up on the upper one and it will hold better and the bead won't slide over.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much length do you leave on the bobber stop versus cut off? Great advice on the lower bobber stop below the bobber. That will certainly keep from losing the bobber. Thanks

[ 10-17-2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Dakotan ]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I always use the smallest bead I can find and 30 lb high vis dacron fly reel backing for my bobber stops and never have a problem. If you are buying pretied stops. Find a web page that has a diagram of how to tie a nail knot. Learn how to tie it and rig your own stops. It is simple to do and will save you a few bucks. I have a friend that worked at a flyshop and about 6 years ago he gave me a large spool that had some left over high vis backing (about 40 yds.) I am still working off of that spool for my bobber stops.

·
Registered
325 Posts
THERE IS TWO SIZES OF THE SMALLEST BEAD FOR YOUR STOP. THERE IS THE SMALL ONE WITH THE BIG HOLE AND THERE IS THE SMALL ONE WITH THE EXTRA SMALL HOLE. SOME TIMES I HAVE CAUGHT MY SELF TYING ON THE ONE WITH THE BIG HOLE AND THREE OUT OF FOUR TIMES THE SAME THING HAPPENS TO ME. SO GET A SMALLER DIAMATER HOLE OR A THICKER STRING FOR YOUR STOP. MY 02

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
feltpen,

STOP YELLING!!!

Try leaving about 1/2" long strings on the end of your stop knot. They'll eventually break in and work better to stop your bead.

My bobber slip?...'fraid knot!!
:grin:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Guys, it is not the size of the bead but the size of the hole in the bead. I got 500 beads with very small holes at a craft store years ago and have not had this problem since.

FMS also sells medium beads with small hole specifically for bobber stops. They come in about a 6-8 pack for a little less than I paid for 500. They are on the same aisle as the stops and bobbers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
crabbait is right on go to any craft store and look at there bead section. The beads will vary in size and hole diamater, so you need to look close. There is also at least two size of thread used on the pre tied slip knots, it wouldn't hurt to tie one on the line you are using and take it to the store. :cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry about the spelling. I rather be fishing than typing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
GRB; IM OT SHURE I UNDERSTAND YOUR QUOTE ABOUT YELLING?! DO YOUEVER HAVE TROUBLE WITH YOUR TAG WRAPING AROUND YOUR BEAD THEN WHEN YOU TRY REELING IN?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Curiousity drove me to go and try TillamookChinook's method and it seems to hold really well. Only twist it three times and it moves easily but still holds really well. Its a lot better than messin' around with those pre tied bobber/float stops or sitting around tying your own.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Pretty neat, huh!!

Now if I could just catch a fish.

I may not be catching fish, but the ones I'm not catching are BIG!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
TIP 1 - When using many braided lines for bobber stops, you can carefully, and ever-so-slightly, melt the tag ends to keep it from fraying.

(Frayed line can get caught in the bead, and the bead can go though, or get caught in the tip-top guide, and then the only way to solve this dilemma is to hook a fish big enough to pull the bead and stop back into the water!) FYI - this hooking-a-big-fish-thing is also effective to get a backlash out of your reel - a very simple solution for a frustrating problem.

TIP 2 - Tag ends one-half to one inch long allow the bobber-stop to go through the guides without hanging up.

TIP 3 - The melting-the-tag-end technique can also be used when braided line is tied to swivel, etc., This adds a measure of security if the knot slips. Just be very careful not to damage your main line with the lighter or other heat source.

...KChookem

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I use a short piece of 8-10# mono or flouro to tie an uni-knot with only 3 or 4 wraps; quick and easy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use a piece of broken rubber band for bobber stop just tie it where you want it and trim off the excess it stays where you want it and you can slide it up or down to change depth.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Another rubber band solution is to use a whole one and fold it over the line and loop it thru itself then pull tight. Easy to put on, take off and adjust. Small rubber bands work fine but on chilly winter days the larger ones are easier to handle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts