IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shorelander trailer for my 16' Smokercraft. The problem is this trailer is eating tires. Both tires seem to be tilted out severely. The tire wears heavily on the inside. So much that the inside 1/3 is bald and the outside 1/3 looks almost new. I have called both Les Schwab and a local marine asking for help. I was told since this is a straight axel that nothing could be done. I just can't believe that wear this extreme is acceptable and nothing can be done. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation that can offer advice?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Had s similar problem. I think it is caused by a overloaded axle, or one that was not made of good steel. I ended up repacing the axle. They aren't that expensive-Porter-Webster stocks all kind of axles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a shorelander with a 20 ft. Blue Water Fiberglass on it. I love everything about the trailer but the tires suck. I can't find tires to fit it that are rated for enough weight. They are rated for 1500lbs. each and the boat by itself is 2500. That leaves 500lbs of gear and it is to it's max. We go through a pair a year. This is the last time I will own a single axle trailer with no brakes. At least it is galvanized. With no suspension the 2500lbs. is already too much weight for them. Does anybody know where to get tires rated for more that are made for trialers?

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
The problem you folks are describing is not unlike what we find when doing alignments on cars. The major problem on trailers is the amount of "camber" (tilt of the wheel) in or out at the top or bottom.

Most trailers experience negative camber at the top or the wheels. This could be caused by age, incorrect width of axle, or just plain overloading the boat and all its goodies. You could replace the axle and it may solve the problem if you get the correct one. Or you could take it to a good alignment shop that will work on trailers.

If anyone is interested here in SE Portland is the shop next to mine called Kalberer Frame and Line Up. Tony and Dean have solved many trailer alignment problems for folks in the past. They may be interested in helping some of you folks out. Their number is 503 777 0324. They are not cheap in this process but when you think of the price of $50 tires and how often you replace them it will not sound so bad.

One lesson I learned from Wes at Potter Webster is that if the axle itself is to long or extends out past the spring shackles to far then they will tend to bend upwards from the continuous load. Again causing to much Camber. You may possibly need a narrower axle to alievate the prosistent problems you are having. Food for thought.

Also, I second ditching the trailer tire mentality and going with radials. you will get a lot longer life out of the radial tires.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In Castle Rock, WA is an alignment shop that will align your trailer and he askes how much weight you are using so he can align it for the bow of the axle with the weight on it. I feel he is fairly reasonable. I have had him do a number of alignment jobs on my cars and motorhome and trailer. Very happy with him. The name is Reinholt Alignment. Phone # 274-6100

G

·
you might want to call LEEA at Trailer World in Vancouver 360-750-9894. I think the are the authorized Shorelander dealer out here. She is quite knowledgeable about these trailers.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input! After a few phone calls I found a place in Bend that does trailer alingments. Max cost will be ~$135. If my tires last two years the repair will pay for itself.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I don't think it is an alignment problem, I used to have the same problem on my trailer. The problem was to much weight for the axel. I went to a 5,000 pound axel and have not had the problem since.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
CATCH AND EAT,

I have a dual axle Zieman and I have the opposite problem, the tires are wearing on the outside edge.

Loaded it looks fine, no noticeable camber. Tires look to be straight up and down. They are inflated correctly. I think they are radials.

I'm right at the edge on the limits, the trailer is rated GVCW at 6,000 and I'm 5,980.

I have about 3,000 miles on the trailer and the tires look OK despite wearing more at the edges than the center.

Is this just expected wear or is there something I can do to get the tires to wear more evenly?

Brion

·
Registered
755 Posts
Brion,

If the wear is even and on "both edges".....Might be running low on air presure. Check the rating on the side wall. My trailer.... like most is just enough rating for the boat....Not much surplus.

I inflate to the Max presure that the tire is rated for. Runs cooler and farther. It won't fix a bad alignment...But sure will improve life from being under inflated.

SG

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
SG,

The tires wear more at the edges. It is noticeable but after 3,000 miles the tires look good.

I do have them inflated to max rating on the side of the tire. When I saw the wear, I figured they were under inflated but that's not the case.

I'm guessing that because I'm at the edge of the gross vehicle rating, it putting a load on the tires which is causing the edges to wear more.

But I'm no expert and wanted to make sure it was not a sign of something serious.

Brion

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Originally posted by FallRiverGuy:
GSA, where did you get the axel trued?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I took it to Eddie Davidson's RV shop on the south end of Junction City...cost about $85 and took a little over an hour.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
What amazes me is the marine dealer's propensity to sell trailers that are underrated, especially in "package" deals. You can't stick a boat that weighs 2000 lbs on a 2000 lb GVWR trailer. It doesn't work! You gotta have some margin in there. I can't believe how many threads I've seen like this one over the last year or so. There's a lot of people out there with similar problems, judging by the responses.

My trailer's a little big for my boat, but that's infinitely preferable to too small.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My Shoreland'r trailer also eats tires fast. Some wear is caused by underinflated tires...but eventually I figured out the axle had shifted an inch on one side. Had it trued, keep tires inflated, but it still burns thru 'em way too fast. Single axle, 14" tires with a 2200 lb boat. Too heavy? :whazzup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a King trailer and it's eats tires on the insides like the rest of you, Got new tires and will wait and see, I thought the factory tires were cheep bias tires. If I get the same kind of wear I'll get a new and bigger axel.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I'm in the same boat with Gut Shot. I have had my boat for three years now and have gone through 2 sets of tires. If I had it to do again I would have upgraded to a double axle. A 2,200 pound boat is never correct. Full tank of gas, all your gear, cooler, kicker motor, you get the idea.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, this seems like a somewhat common problem. Looks like I may be in for a new axel especially since tires are $50 a pop.

GSA, where did you get the axel trued?

The Les Schwab guy that replaced my tire recommended putting a bottle jack under the axel overnight to try and bend the axel straight. I was hesitant to try this, as there is no way for me to measure the movement, if any, I cause by this method. If I have to replace the axel anyway, might as well go ahead and give this a try.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
FRG,

I experienced the same type of problem with the nylon cord tires and after the second set I switched to radial tires. The problem resolved itself and I'm on my 4th year with the same set of tires. My trailer is also a shorelander, and I have 16' Smokercraft boat sitting on it. I put lots of miles on the trailer each year and the tires still look new.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Brion, with a tandem trailer it still could be an alignment problem. One axle towed slightly different than the other will cause tire wear. To much tow in on one or both axles will cause this problem too. Since you have addressed the inflation issue I wont bother with that. Again, it could have to much camber causing it to wear on the outside. These are all problems that can be corrected.

StuzII is partially right. The trailers are barely built to hold our boats. A heavier axle may help but most likely be unnecessary to correct the problem. I would use his advice if the other channels mentioned do not work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts