IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use this stuff with success? It looks cool (like most fishing gear) and seems like it should work dying herring and other stuff but I never hear anyone talk about it. Anyone use it in their egg cure for color? Just wonderin.

·
Registered
16,796 Posts
We use it on herring sometime...it's pretty STOUT stuff (wear gloves).

For herring, I just haven't figured out any consistancy for when to fish blue, chart., or green dyed herring in the places we fish the most (Tillamook).

Blue is certainly the favorite for herring, it accentuates the natural color of good bait...and some folks say the dyed baits stand out from all the others twirling along down there.

If it gives you confidence...go for it!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I have thought about it myself also. I remember someone telling me that some dyes may have good color but taste bad to fish, could this be a good one?

RR.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have sold a lot over the past few years - the color of choice seems to follow a trend. The first year Green was the hot ticket, the last two years the Blue dye seemed to be the preferred choice. I would have to agree that the Blue Dye seems to highlight the Herring in more of a natural state.

That said, I did fish the Green last year and it yielded the only bite on our trip. This could have been coincidence, but hey....I didn't complain. They definitely stand out, even at a greater depth.

I put all of my Herring in the basic Brine Mix - however after the alloted time I then mix some in the green, the blue, a garlic mix, and a couple of different blends.....Then most likely when I go the only ones that actually get hit are the ones that I pulled right out of the tray. Go figure.

The report that I get back is about 50 / 50. Like I stated above though - I do beleive in going with several different choices. Just like egg cures - you never know what may get their attention.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'v had great days on green.Works best at first lite or on dark rainy days.

L J

·
Registered
16,796 Posts
I'v had great days on green.Works best at first lite or on dark rainy days.L J
Now THAT is some useful info...hope I can remember that in a month :pray:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I have used the dye, I have caught fish with the blue and chartruse (sp):crazy:

The dye is super strong and I kind of had to monkey with it to get the consistency down right.

It's good stuff and one can would last a guy a very, very long time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
One more thing about this dye, if you use blue or green for herring, always put the dye in the water first and mix it up. Then add salt or your brine to the water. It doesn't work well if you add the dye to the brine last. I don't know why but it does.:shrug:

L J

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've used the blue for herring and the pink for eggs and they work great. Be very careful with the potency!!! Start off light and work your way to the color you want. It's very fine powder and don't be surprised when you blow your nose afterwaords that it's colored the same as the dye :redface:.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Ask the founder of Pro Cure himself for tips! He is the guest tonight at the Salem Chapter of ANWS at 7pm at the Salem Library.

"Phil Pirone from ProCure will be the program speaker at the Salem
Steelheaders meeting on Wednesday September 19 at 7:00 p.m. at the Salem Library. Phil will bring a fish to clean and fillet, and he will demonstrate some new filet knives by Forstner. Phil will also demo his egg cure, and he will have his videos for sale. Phil has lots of fishing products that are simply excellent, and he will talk about many of them"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts