IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are the airlines registered guides when they fly nonresidents and their weapons here to hunt? Hypothetical of course cause who would actually fly to oregon to hunt:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I doubt transportation would be considered assisting hunters. The hunters are deciding where they want to be, not the pilot.
Just a taxi ride!
And you pay for a taxi. Hence a commercial service on Public Lands. Any commercial activity on public lands needs a permit.
The managing agency needs to manage use to avoid tragedy of the commons or adverse environmental impacts. Plus the owners of the land (us) need their cut for the commercial use of public lands.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Would it be considered "commercial activity" to pay a private helicopter to drop off a private individual or two thou? By definition I would not think so. You would have to wait 24hrs from the time you were dropped off till you hunt by state law.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Would it be considered "commercial activity" to pay a private helicopter to drop off a private individual or two thou? By definition I would not think so. You would have to wait 24hrs from the time you were dropped off till you hunt by state law.
Depends on the agency.
But are they doing it for profit? Or as a commerical business? Are there fees being charged? Likely so.
Or is it a good buddy who has a helicopter and you're just buying gas? Kinda like driving around the woods in a buddies truck. Likely not.
Kinda like that fine line between taking a buddy fishing in your boat and guiding. Is there money (or other items of value) being exchanged or costs just being shared?
Best answer is to call the agency where you're planning on landing the helicopter and ask to speak to their permitting person. Every agency and individual handles it a bit different.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
And you pay for a taxi. Hence a commercial service on Public Lands. Any commercial activity on public lands needs a permit.
The managing agency needs to manage use to avoid tragedy of the commons or adverse environmental impacts. Plus the owners of the land (us) need their cut for the commercial use of public lands.
I have Flown to Idaho to "hunt" with a commercial airlines in the past. Different?

·
Registered
16,734 Posts
Reactions: fishnhunt13

·
Registered
16,734 Posts
No sir! Commercial airport. The forest would have meant a crash happened!
I think that is the determinate, but does a copter really land if they don't touch down? I would say not.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Square, I was gonna say the same. The question is so vague, you can only speculate about any of the information. And speculation gets heated discussion!
Who got the ticket? What state? Were you trespassing on the private? What were you hunting? What were you driving? What rifle were you packing? What glass? Will it be for sale now that you can't use it?
C'mon Man! We need answers!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Reel fortunate

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Wow, is this thread still going? No reply from the OP on the situation or if it was just a perception of how private to public access works. They didn't mention helicopters or outfitters.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm guessing likely it was as one poster said earlier, someone buffaloing someone on what is and isn't legal so they can have it to themselves. Also NF and wilderness have different fly rules. Think it had to do with removal, the powers that be considered long lining to an animal on the ground touching down. Panties were wadded about it.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The OP has been back several times since posting this thread but I guess he doesn't feel to need to comment further?

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
The OP has been back several times since posting this thread but I guess he doesn't feel to need to comment further?
Perhaps didn't like the responses he got :sneaky:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts