IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Private land to state owned access. Why is it unacessable??
I have access to private property but I can’t access public land because public can’t access it?
Why is this a ticket? Trespassing with firearms ticket! Felony offense.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep not enough info.. if you have permission to hunt private land from the land owner you should be fine. Written permission would be better but if you know the owner well verbal should suffice I would think. Hunting from private land you have permission to Hunt on and crossing onto public land isn’t a problem people who own property that backs up to state or federal land do it all the time. I’m guessing there is more to the story if you got a ticket… I’m in Oregon so different states may be different…

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
More info would be good. Location ... which state at least? Is this a piece of public land that is not accessible to the public because it is totally surrounded by private land which blocked access? If that's the case I do remember hearing something about that. I'd wondered how the state was going to handle the private landowners blocking access to public lands but using it for themselves. This is probably the answer ... closed it, period. There probably isn't a better choice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have access to private property but I can’t access public land because public can’t access it?
Nope - not a Felony

ORS 164.265 Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm. (1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
(2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]

·
Registered
246 Posts
From my understanding anybody that has the interest to do so can pay a helicopter to drop them on public ground that's surrounded by private.

I'm thinking the OP got some internet legal council.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think that the helicopter or airplane pilot has to have the right permits to land on Forest Service or BLM land.
A good helo pilot doesn't need to land to drop off and pickup passengers and gear. I get what you're saying thou and cant argue it either way other then the fact I know it's been done for years.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean but there are circumstances where public land is off limits to public recreation. Watersheds, working lands, etc.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It is probably closed for something else. When my dad and a couple others bought a Section from the Klamath Falls tribe when they closed,the reservation, they had great access to public lands connected to their Section. Dad got a couple elk there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts