IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was headed over to check on the boat and tackle classifieds board and noticed a little something new. what's going on?

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
I saw it too. Maybe some place for the Salty Dogs to trade Big Blue spots?

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
It's a private forum for the salty dogs to trade gps waypoints. You do need a password to get in however. :smile:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Am I the only one that is a little put off by this new forum. I thought that this is supposed to be a community that shares info but now it looks like even the Mods have their own zipperlip forum?
Hmmmm.... Not quite what I had hoped for. I hope I'm wrong.

D.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
You could not be much more wrong about "the mods" having a private forum. I don't have the password for the private forum.

Can you imagine how much information would be available if anyone with a computer could access GPS coordinates to off-shore fishing spots? The forum is for ifishers who actively participate in the offshore fishery and who are sharing resources like open seats, gas, tackle, and flotilla security for the information. If you fit that description, you may be able to access the forum.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Crabbait,

Since there was no announcement posting about it and no moderators for the forum, it looked bad. Like I said, I hoped I was wrong, and I was. If it's for everyone, though, maybe an announcement would be in order, along with the rules for participating in it. And Keta, I called it like I see it. Plain and simple. As far as the requirements go
The forum is for Ifishers who actively participate in the offshore fishery and who are sharing resources like open seats, gas, tackle, and flotilla security for the information. If you fit that description, you may be able to access the forum.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I'm assuming that this means that there will be a new forum for us "inshore" fisherman to share specific GPS coordinates that will have similar restrictions to use it and will exclude the offshore fisherman as this new forum excludes the inshore ones?
I'm not trying to make anyone mad and maybe I'm out of line, but this new forum seems to miss the mark for the spirit of Ifish and maybe this is the wrong place for this kind of exclusive forum. I'll bet I'm not alone in this sentiment. Jennie, of course, has the ultimate say and if she says this forum stands as it is, I'll say nothing else against it. You guy have done alot of good for Ifish, but I really believe that this will be a bad thing and can bring nothing but hard feelings and create a rift within this little fishy community.

Doug

edited for spelling and grammar.

[ 05-12-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: drhall99 ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Salty Dogs are all about sharing. They set up the forum and share in it.

From the looks of your signature line I would say that you are not interested.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Crabbait,

My tagline is there in jest. I first heard it when I worked as a deckhand on a longliner and I thought it was funny. If you look at what little posting history that I have, I do post reports, when I have something worthwhile to post. Also, I didn't intend any personal attack on you or anyone else, so please don't take it that way. Maybe I'm wrong about this issue. A quick poll on the main community board could answer that question.

D.

[ 05-12-2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: drhall99 ]

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
To Everyone,

If you had been visiting the Salty Dogs forum you would know more about this subject and not be so paranoid.

From what I have noticed the Salty dogs seem to share a lot more information and help than any other ifishers (not intended to dis anyone). While out after Halibut this last weekend out on Big Blue everyone was very helpful with communication on the radio transmitting everything from where the bite was, what the fish were hitting on, to what size fish were hitting.

This was a BIG difference from the river fishing that I experienced this year. Anyone that was sharing information on the river seemed to do so by cell phone instead of using the radio (seems a little tight lipped to me).

Just my opinion

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
DrHall99, please read the following thread http://www.ifish.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=001493 and educate yourself before you judge what you do not understand using incomplete knowledge and assumptions.

Then, let me say a few things here. It may not be obvious to someone who does not use the ocean for a playground but there are a few hard and fast rules you should know about. But first the issue of the new forum. We are breaking new ground here. This is not complete and there is no announcement to make yet. We (the people who wish to share the knowledge) have not thought through all of the issues or even developed the actual tool we will use to share the gps points. The new forum is a testbed to develop the concept. It is password protected. You cannot have access. This is no different than other restricted forums.

The reality of ocean fishing is that the ocean is in charge. This is not true on the river bank or even in a boat on a river in most cases. I would never enable anyone to reach beyond their abilities and/or allow them to use knowledge they were not qualified to have. The folks that are sharing numbers are willing to do so because the realities of ocean fishing tend to prevent the over-exploitation of these spots. We are happy to give each other numbers because we understand the responsibilities of possessing them.

Now should I just open up my GPS book to anyone? What if that guy over there takes the knowledge and his brand new boat and zero hours of experience and goes to one of my spots ... and becomes an artificial reef because he did not know enough to survive in the marine environment? Where would we be then?

So, if you want the numbers DrHall99, meet me out at the rockpile or attend a tunaholics anonymous meeting. Or start hanging out with the guys on the other forum. Once you get the whole picture it will all make sense to you.

We have nothing to hide.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I think this may be a case of "Ready, Fire, Aim."

We were kicking around an idea last weekend and wanted to see if we could set up a place where Ifishers (not just lurkers) could post and/or look up numbers and directions to spots, channels, ramps, and sundry coordinates that further the fishing success of the ifish community. The deal is, we are only about half a baby-step past the "Gee, wouldn't it be neat..." stage, and suddenly everybody is up in arms. Truth is, the Salty Dogs main reputation is unbelievable openness and no-holds-barred sharing.

We're scratching our heads trying to figure out how the foundation of something like this might look - and you're worried about the color of the curtains. Give us a little time - and trust.

Skein

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Pilar,

I appreciate your points on safety. I still have to wonder if this information wouldn't be better suited for the TA meetings, etc and maybe communicated between all interested parties via email. If the point of the new forum is to limit who has access to the information, maybe it's too sensitive for Ifish? I still believe that it will create a bigger separation between the inshore and offshore fisherman. Disagreeing with you like this is not something I enjoy because I respect the kind of activism and involvement that you bring to this board. It's not that having this information would do me any good (I own a driftboat). Remember the whole zipperlip controversy? Imagine how bad the controversy could be when there's an entire forum that has restricted entry.

Just my opinion,
Doug

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I believe that the majority of folks understand and share Pilar's concerns. Even if you do not have the required equipment to fish the ocean the Salty Dogs are quick to post an open seat.

Don't feel left out, feel invited in. In most cases all you need is the will to go and your share of the expenses (or a drift boat trip).

If you don't care to play that is your choice, but I see no reason to limit the ability of those who do to share there successes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Doug,
I would suggest that you just hang out and lurk on the 'Salty Dogs' board for awhile before you jump to judgment. I for one hang there because of the attitude of openness and ongoing sharing of information I always find there. You'll never see a zipperlip, braggart post and if you ask a question you will always get a straight forward honest answer. On the main board it's mostly who you know, on 'Salty Dogs' it's your a fisherman that loves the sea and wants to share that love with others.

If I remember correctly, Pilar just threw out the idea of sharing GPS numbers to the board a couple of weeks ago to see what everyone thought. The response was amazing. Almost every one of the replies was positive and from there the conversation transitioned to how best to do it. There was never an intent of exclusion that I ever saw. I would suggest that you try the same question about openly sharing fishing locations on the main board and see what you get. I would venture to say that you would find that the same attitude of openness doesn't exist. Of course there are some that freely offer locations, information, and seats on their boats to others and enjoy the successes of their fellow fisherman, but I would guess that if you reviewed the majority of the posts through this springer season they would be heavy on photos, devoid of locations, and even short on technique. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a brag board if that's what your looking for, it just doesn't seem to be the 'Salty Dog' ethic.

From what I've experienced so far, when the GPS board is up and operational, you'll not only have access to the numbers, someone will probably draw you a map as to how to get there. Unfortunatly, I've not had the opportunity to get to know any of the 'Salty Dog' board members personally, but from the exchanges I've read and been a part of, if you take a breath and wait for the end result, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly suprized. Have a great day and tight lines.
Jean

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Owwwwwww! That hurts, Jcarufo!

So, the salty dogs are better than the ifishers?!?
Somehow I thought Salty Dogs were ifishers! :smile:
From what you say, the "family" of Salty Dogs is an elevated family of saints!

Thank God I love you all! :smile:

I'm not sure how this will work, but I've always wanted to see how the UBB software handles a password protected area, so when Pilar inquired, I set up a test one. I don't know how it will work, but we can all comment on it, if we want, right?

There needs to be clear cut rules about who can access these. From what I understood, the thoughts now, are that you have to send your GPS readings in, in order to take some out.

But what happens if someone sends in bad ones? There are lots of things that need to be ironed out, and believe me, I won't be doing it, if it causes a further division in fisher people.

You know, anyone can read the Salty Dog board and become involved, so don't feel left out. I just don't fish the ocean much, so I don't go there a whole lot.

So far, posted on that board is a post by me, asking Pilar if it works, and a "Yes, thank you!" from Pilar, saying it does. No GPS yet. :smile:

Hang onto your hats, ifish is still free, and still open to everyone.

If it starts going somewhere, there will be a public notice, and your opinions will all be welcome.

Jen

1 - 20 of 80 Posts