IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Got my moorings canceled from the state park due to low water levels. Might cancel the whole trip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ODFW website says 61%. Webcam shows several boaters out, looks like gorgeous day. We are waiting to hear positive reports on crappie...

·
Registered
1 Posts
both boat ramps are not open, powder house has enough water but the gates at the top are closed and locked. Roberts bay was to shallow for my nerves.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
By both boat ramps they mean at the state park. Early I. The season only one side was open. I will call the park next week and ask if they are going to open the gate to powder house ramp. Last year they kept it closed because folks launched when it was low then complained they dinged their trailers because of the low water. Idiots So the state park guy didn’t. Want anyone else to complain so they locked it up. Buyer beware but not in today’s society

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nada from the bank. Water is still pretty low compared to when i was there last year. Fished Jasper and Powder house cove. Not sure if I want to explore Ochoco Res to try and crack the goose egg. Primarily i was targeting bass with swimbaits and jerkbaits. In-between threw some crappie jigs and even powerbait.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
With only about 2.5' of water over bottom of powder house boat ramp and the res now dropping don't think this ramp will be an option this year. Was hopeful earlier this spring we would get enough to at least use it for a little while this spring. But not looking like that will happen. Bad water year for sure in this area.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I pinged some schools of what I thought were crappie out from the county boat ramp a few weeks back. Havent seen anything like that since. Yesterday I did some half hearted crappie prospecting in and around the campground on the south shore and by the resort. Nothing. While soaking bait for trout I did pick up a 9 inch smallie. It was very feisty. Surface temps were in the mid 50s so water at east is warming up even if the bite isnt.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
powerhouse is open
Managed to get a dozen crappies today. All over 11and under 12 inches. Very fat. They are not in tight yet. Got them in 70 ft. Water drifting with wind. Also two jumbo trout. It won’t be long before they move in to spawn. Water 55 degrees.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Managed to get a dozen crappies today. All over 11and under 12 inches. Very fat. They are not in tight yet. Got them in 70 ft. Water drifting with wind. Also two jumbo trout. It won’t be long before they move in to spawn. Water 55 degrees.
Puck, did you get a look at the Bear Creek arm? Will there be enough water to fish up there this Spring?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Water in Bear cr pretty much ends where the rocks on the banks end. It was about 3' deep when I got to the dirt.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Water in Bear cr pretty much ends where the rocks on the banks end. It was about 3' deep when I got to the dirt.
Not sure where rocks end. There is plenty of water in Bear Creek Arm. Water is up several feet from my last visit and much cleaner upstream from State boat launch. I talked with two bass fishermen who landed 30 bass, the biggest two were 3 lb. largemouths. Amazing chironomid hatch going off but these trout are mighty smart. Feeding on emergers and you could not get close to them. Got trout on crappie jigs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just camping near the Roberts Bay ramp and doing a little fishing. One boat ran up higher from the State Park yesterday. Many, many boats today. Roberts Bay ramp is very useable as the gravel from a couple years ago has helped immensely. The problem being that the roads in here haven't been graded yet, and the washboard is as bad as I have seen it. As Puck noted, the water is very, very clear. Since I didn't hit the 'send' last evening, I can update that the road is being graded this morning.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Crappies hard to locate. They have moved into shallow water to spawn. No fish found past 5mph zone. No trout this time. Somebody is getting some nice trout. 7 filleted carcasses of 20 inchers thrown into 2 foot of water right at boat launch. Classy move.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Crappies hard to locate. They have moved into shallow water to spawn. No fish found past 5mph zone. No trout this time. Somebody is getting some nice trout. 7 filleted carcasses of 20 inchers thrown into 2 foot of water right at boat launch. Classy move.
Puck, the earlier post you made on the crappie still being in the deeper water was still valid on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the siren must have gone off because the crappie flat moved out. For the first time in a couple years, I didn't accidentally/purposely catch any rainbow or bass. It was nice to just chill at Roberts Bay, though.

The water level graphs show pretty stable level for the last week, but, holy cow, there is going to be just the channel in just a month or so.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Puck, the earlier post you made on the crappie still being in the deeper water was still valid on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the siren must have gone off because the crappie flat moved out. For the first time in a couple years, I didn't accidentally/purposely catch any rainbow or bass. It was nice to just chill at Roberts Bay, though.

The water level graphs show pretty stable level for the last week, but, holy cow, there is going to be just the channel in just a month or so.
FRiday I found them shallow for the first time this year. I found zero suspended. Had to work hard to find them but catching was easy. They were aggressive and definitely spawning. No giants but 11 solid inchers. Kept only four.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts