IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a motor to push my driftboat. A guy I know knows a guy who has a 1993 long shaft Yammerhammer in good shape for $700.

Is this a good deal?

Is this the right engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Depends on how many hours are on it, was it used in salt water if so did he flush every time. But just off the cuff I would say probably not that great of deal. I have a 93 Willie Predator and I am on my 3rd kicker motor and I kept them maintained well. Your small engine gets alot more hours than you realize. Buyer beware. Buy new and get a 4 stroke you will love not having to smell fumes all day. my .02

·
Registered
244 Posts
Slow and Low,

I just went through the same question/quandary. Looking for a good used 8 horse kicker. I preferred a 4 stroke for a few reasons. Every one I looked at for under $1000.00 was 2 stroke and early 90s. I finally decided to buy a new one for following reasons.

3 year warranty - used one at purchase price of $700.00 and 1 or 2 repairs could end up costing you more than a new one.

4 stroke - don't have to mix gas
4 stroke - don't need extra tank, I can use my main tank
4 stroke - no smokey exhaust and less fumes.

3 year warranty - worth mentioning again.

I just purchased a brand new 2003 for $1699.00 ( I got last one). they have new 2004s for $1799.00.

Yeah more than I wanted to pay but finally gave in to the thinking it will cost less in the long run.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Slow and Low,
I put a kicker on my driftboat this last year and it is the first time I have had one on my driftboat. I bought a early 80's 2-stroke 8hp long shaft. The motor runs great and works out fine on my boat. The only complaint that I have is that it's to much motor for my boat (16x54 Fishrite). It won't troll down slow enough in slower water so I have to use a trolling sock and adjust the idle way down. If I were buy another kicker for it I would buy a 6hp or maybe a 5hp to get the slower low end.

JK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts