IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've booked a trip in late July on Preist Lake in Idaho for a business trip. Has anyone ever fished that lake or know anything about it? Any info. would be great.
Thanks in Advance
Matt

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Priest Lake and River are home to some large trout. I am a boat dock dealer for Lake Pend Oreille just east of Priest. Oreille is much larger and has an abundant supply of trout. The world record Kamloop Rainbow now resides in the whitehouse, it came from Oreille. Priest I believe is almost equal to Oreille for trout and various panfish.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yep - Spent two weeks on the boat there a couple of years back. It's pretty much a Mackinaw fishery at this point, only thing we caught the whole trip other than a couple of small cuts we released in the upper lake.
The mac's are REALLY good eating if you dont mind the oil. Very good flavor. We wrapped them in foil with onion, apple, pepper and lemon dill sauce stuffed in the cavity and on top of the fish. We ate it like every other night. Took the whole 2 weeks to get tired of it.
Gotta have downriggers, was fishing just off the bottom (20 feet off or less) in 250 plus feet of water most all the time. Flatfish (uhoh- can't remember the size- about 4 inches long). The kinda frog pattern with orange on it was top producer for me. :cheers:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Priest Lake is primarily a Mackinaw fishery. You can catch them year round. Down deep off of downriggers right at or near bottom. Glow in the dark flatfish or large dodger with fly or squid behind will normally do the trick. We just fished it Sunday and caught 3 macks at 154ft.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah, what they said plus; go through the channel at N end Priest to Upper Priest.

As you're going thru the channel watch carefully for fish that will start your heart beating real fast. :dance:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts