IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, prawns work well for springers from a boat with a spinner, diver etc...

Two questions:

1. Why don't springers or fall chinook bite prawns under a bobber?

2. Why don't fall fish take prawns like springers from a boat? Springers sure hammer them in the spring time but not in the fall.

I've yet to get one bite from a prawn under a bobber for both spring and fall chinook after hours of experimenting. But I've probably caught a hundred spring and fall chinook with bobber and eggs or sand shrimp or combos. I've also yet to hear of anyone getting a fall fish from a boat with the same setup with prawns, like we do in the spring.

I would think prawns would work, but so far - nope.

Has anyone else had any luck with prawns under a bobber (spring or fall) and any luck with prawns from a boat in the fall?

:whazzup: :shrug: :depressed:

SKP

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I think the fall fish have been feeding all summer on bait fish like herring and anchovie. Maybe the springers feed in a diferent area and there are more shrimp/prawns in the area? Just a though....

And BTW, the prawns we use for springers come from the north Atlantic.

As for the bobber thing, probably one of the reason is if you are trolling, anchor fishing or back trolling the prawn it's usually rigged to have some kind of action. With a bobber it's just hanging there.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Spinner prawns are deadly for summer and fall chinook and summer steelhead when trolled.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have good luck on Springers using a combonation of prawns and Eggs under a bobber. I have caught 3 since last Saturday on this combo. Have been using it for about 10 years and average about 10 to 20 Spring Chinook per year on the prawn egg combo Fishing the Clack and Sandy.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's amazing. I can kill fall chinook with sand shrimp and eggs under a bobber, but when I try prawn and eggs - the big zippo.

There's not much response though, so there must not be much success.

Anyone else wish to chime in?

SKP

·
Registered
182 Posts
Prawns have worked well for me drifting them for Springers.
This last weekend on the Umpqua I added a prawn to my bobber set up and on my second cast picked one up.
Later in the day I tied one on a quikie and was casting it from shore and scored another. :dance:
Me like prawn. (natural color)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts