IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see alot of people prefer to use this line I was wondering when you put it on a reel do you put a backing on the reel before it. I hear some people do and some don't just curious. Thanks in advance. Tim :grin:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't have enough faith in my line-to-line tying ability, so I fill the entire spool with PowerPro. It gives me one less thing to worry about. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No backing on my baitcasting reel, just fill the thing up with the powerpro.

In fact, on my fly reels, I use powerpro as the backing. I can get more on there and its stronger than the normal dacron backing material.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
A little mono backing will keep your power pro from slipping on the spool and binding. Enough to cover you spool a couple times should work.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I generally use at least a little backing on the reel with PowerPro. On my big halibut reel, I use quite a bit more backing, just to increase the spool size, so it helps to cut down on winding. (bigger spool=less reeling theory).

·
Registered
660 Posts
To elaborate upon what willametteriveroutlaw said, if any of the Spectra-based lines (of which Power Pro is the best, IMHO) is tied directly to the reel arbor, it can slip which renders the drag inoperative. Not good.

Even a little Dacron or mono backing will alleviate this problem, as well as reducing the amount of this small diameter and rather expensive line necessary to properly fill a reel.

Alternately (and I've done this many times), a drop of Super Glue on the arbor knot will prevent slippage, especially if the reel is filled while the glue is still wet.

Best,

~MT
The Guide's Forecast

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use backing on my poles that have PP, live-2 there is a little tool used by trout fishermen called a nipper knot or nail knot tool, it makes a perfect knot every time and also has a nail type clipper on it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I put a about 20 feet of Dacron on my Shimano Calcutta then most of the spool of Power Pro.
Make sure you tie the knots that are recommended with this line. You can't use the normal fisherman's knot with Power Pro.
Also, you need to be careful when fighting/landing fish with Power Pro line. Since there is no stretch you can easily break a rod or pull hooks from the fish. Keep your thumb off the drag.
Take my word "Don't horse the pigs in, you'll lose em every time."
I know.........

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Although this has nothing to do with backing, I thought you might find this article of interest.

Power Pro by Stan Fagerstrom

I use backing, though. Basically I estimate how much a reel will hold, and then use enough so that I still have enough room to put 125 yards on.

Jen

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well dang...

I learned something today. (See my previous post where I wasn't using backing on by baitcaster). Next time I spool up, I'll put a little backing on there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts