IFish Fishing Forum banner
161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Well.... money might not be a driving factor for the OP here...

If one watches Powder Valley, Natchez, Midsouth, the Hodgdon site, Midway, Brownells, Cabelas, and so on you can piece together what you need. Hazmat fees... well... UPS drivers gotta eat too. :)

ETA: if nothing else, the pleasant shooting window will close soon... shooting isn’t a ton of fun in July and August (at least not the type reloaders do- tweaking loads and whatnot) due to the heat and mirage. Hot barrels take forever to cool on hot days And then we are into September and it’s getting to crunch time.

If I were the OP hazmat would be my last concern IF I really wanted to get up and rolling in time for 2022 huntin season.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a total noob to the world of reloading I'm trying to find trustworthy websites for buying powder and primers. So far every site that I've looked at that claimed to have some unicorn stock available wanted to be paid in bitcoin which made me a wee bit suspicious. All of them have turned out to be scams. The standard Brownells, Midway, etc never have anything in stock so anytime I see anything I stock on a site I'm immediately suspicious.

Can anyone point me towards some sites that are reliable or is that akin to giving me the GPS coordinates to your favorite honey hole?
natchez has 550 sm pistol mag primers 450 sm rifle mag primers and 400 sm rifle standard in stock now. make sure you are sitting down

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Rough time to get into reloading.... welcome to the jungle, lol

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Which kind do you need? Maybe we can all pitch in to get you rolling.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I don’t want to put a dent in anybody’s stockpile, but I really appreciate the thought!

I’ve got plenty of quality factory ammo that will get me through the season. I’m looking for large rifle magnum primers (Remington 9.5Ms, WLRMs, or Federal 215 or 215M) to work up loads for a 270 WSM and a 300 WSM if anybody has any they want to sell. I’ll find that unicorn eventually.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Where are you located? I’ll give you (100) WLRM’s to get you started, but shipping them would be silly. I have 1 lone box of the WRLM’s and they’d be useful to you, to get started, but would just be a side-alley for me to go down with just the one box.

Edit: don’t overlook CCI‘s Large Rifle Magnums.. I just got a brick of them, and so far they are dropping right into my F215 loads no problemo...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Where are you located? I’ll give you (100) WLRM’s to get you started, but shipping them would be silly. I have 1 lone box of the WRLM’s and they’d be useful to you, to get started, but would just be a side-alley for me to go down with just the one box.

Edit: don’t overlook CCI‘s Large Rifle Magnums.. I just got a brick of them, and so far they are dropping right into my F215 loads no problemo...
I thought the Federals were a bit hotter than the CCIs.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I don’t want to put a dent in anybody’s stockpile, but I really appreciate the thought!

I’ve got plenty of quality factory ammo that will get me through the season. I’m looking for large rifle magnum primers (Remington 9.5Ms, WLRMs, or Federal 215 or 215M) to work up loads for a 270 WSM and a 300 WSM if anybody has any they want to sell. I’ll find that unicorn eventually.
If you're close to West Linn I could sell you a few Federals.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
OK…where’s the jack a$$ icon?

Part of what got me motivated to get into reloading after so long is my business partner had been storing her brothers reloading equipment for years while he worked overseas. After about 6 years he decided that he’s gone for good. She asked me if I wanted his equipment and I said sure, not knowing that it was old, in pieces, and not calibers/gauges (257 Roberts, 280 Rem, 280 AI wildcat, 28 gauge) that I’m really interested in so I didn’t look too hard.

I knew there was a pretty good collection of Winchester shotgun primers, but I’d only looked at the top layer of the box. I figured maybe I should take a closer look this afternoon just in case there was something I could use. I picked up a couple of boxes of shotgun primers and lo and behold there sat an unopened box of 1,000 Federal 210Ms….happy as hell but feeling like an idiot. Thanks again for all of the offers.

So I guess I’m in business as long as primers don’t go back after a few years in storage.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Awesome! You’re living the dream, haha, finding a brick of primers. :) They should be fine unless they got oil on them. I bought a brick of old F215’s at an estate sale years ago and they were great.

I don’t know if your WSM’s “need” magnum primers or not, maybe someone else does. I’ve always used them in my WSM’s just for drill. I’m told my 6.5 SAUM will run fine with regular rifle primers, and it’s only 6-7 grains less powder than the WSM’s... but IDK. At a minimum you now have great trade stock!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Awesome! You’re living the dream, haha, finding a brick of primers. :) They should be fine unless they got oil on them. I bought a brick of old F215’s at an estate sale years ago and they were great.

I don’t know if your WSM’s “need” magnum primers or not, maybe someone else does. I’ve always used them in my WSM’s just for drill. I’m told my 6.5 SAUM will run fine with regular rifle primers, and it’s only 6-7 grains less powder than the WSM’s... but IDK. At a minimum you now have great trade stock!
Like so many cartridges, my experience is that it depends on the powder you use. But I normally load magnum primers in my .270 WSM.

·
Registered
41,576 Posts
Me and a fellow Ifisher have been discussing powder/primers due to shortages that create restrictions on what we can to do. I read an article in one of the Reloader issues on primers, mag vs standard. There isn't much difference as it applies to velocity. I don't have the article in front of me so can't quote any info. Between the different brands, the widest velocity spread was something like 15 fps. Most were half that. I have certain rules I just do with no real proof of it meaning a whole lot. Heavily compressed loads should use magnum primers. Powders slower than H4350 should have magnum primers. Powder charges larger than 50 grains should have magnum primers. Reduced loads or loads that leave a lot of air space in the case, should use magnum primers. A lot of the more recent cartridges have fairly sharp shoulders on the case and these can probably get by with standard primers just fine if the charge isn't heavily compressed. If I had a rifle, cartridge, bullet combo that required deep seating of the bullet, I'd probably stick with standard primers. In the end, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference as it applies to hunting ammo.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
So, 10 replies now that have nothing to do with reloading supplies being available and where to find them. Can mods please just shut the thread down? Hijacked again by the usual jack wagons.
Damn…sorry for being a rookie jackwagon.

Take a deep breath and try not to be a Delta Bravo.

Thanks for the help guys. I’m out n

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Haha! Somebody knows the phonetic alphabet and has tender feelings. I promise I'll try and not be a Delta Bravo if you work at being less of a Charlie Sierra.

Joking aside, it was nice to follow this thread for product availability. While doing my mornings duties I could pull up ifish and check for alerts. An alert meant somebody found something worth mentioning. An alert now means u get to wade thru pages of unrelated conversation.
It's ifish.........you get what you pay for. I think your expectations are a little too high if you're expecting real time product alerts from a thread here.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts