IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If an idividual tells you not to post "your" reports on a certain river (not certain spots)in order to avoid "competition."
Do you keep posting your info...

[ 11-11-2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: FISH HAWK ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I know where this poll may have sprung from as I had something to say to someone on this board about posting a report. I think if someone shows you a spot and asks you not to post a report you should respect thier wishes. There are also certain fisheries that are good BECAUSE of the lack of pressure. If you put a lot of people in these certain spots it can definately ruin something very special.

Case in point I have had nearly a 40 steelhead day for three rods in my boat last year and you never heard a report from me, why? Because the fishery could not support a ton of boats and hold up. Sometimes I vote to take great fishing over posting a report!

Just 5-Cents 2-Cents :cool:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
yep, what the nickle said.

Sometimes you shut up. Sometimes you give a general report and sometimes you can tell all. Depends on the situation. Now if someone took you to a spot and asked you not to share. You'd be a tool if you told. No matter how harmless it seems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I tend not to post reports unless it is a spot that everyone already knows about (i.e. Cedar Creek, Sandy River). Sometimes I might mention that I did well on whatever river. Good Poll

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
5 cents, its a catch 22. If you report of your great day but say it's a zipper spot, then everyone will think your a jerk..Best not to speak of it in that situation.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Perosonally, I can't beleive some of the nooks and crannies that have appeared on this board. Probably has hurt what used to be some quaint fisheries.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I agree with many aspects of many of the posts. I too have many "blood relative only" type spots that I would like to protect. BUT I also recently made a post as to the Siletz River. In regards to the Siletz, the fishing is NOT red hot, but is is an OPPORTUNITY for something to do, a place to take kids, etc. and enjoy many other aspects of the river and nature. I mentioned a 6 mile stretch of river, no specific parking places or holes, after all, half the accomplishment of such an outing is choosing your own piece of water and being successful on it. There were a lot of anglers in this stretch last weekend, but this is to be expected as more people are being limited to places they can go (i.e., closed seasons, low water, etc on other rivers) as the season progresses. I sometimes merely try to share OPTIONS not directions or "must go's", and I am sorry if anyone feels I am increasing the pressure on "their hole".

I do know how appreciative I've been when people have at least pointed me in a helpful direction, but I do not like it when they try to hold my hand, thus would not want to push that on anyone else either.

Thanks, Eric :smile:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I tend to never report posts about things in OR, and tend to get a little peeved when people report about little rivers w/ native only runs to 10K people.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Hi
How do I post a question on this board

·
Registered
210 Posts
I tend to agree with the group here. I think one can share techniques and tactics that worked without "giving away the farm", so to speak. I must admit, I see many posts asking for that specific type of location data on this site. Some people are very free with this information, and some are not.

My vote is "no" we should not post locations specially when asked not to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For iwanttofish, you can create your own Poll by simply clicking on the button "Poll" located near the "topic" and "reply" buttons.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This topic is all to familiar to me only I asked a friend to keep a hole to himself if I took him to it. I only took 1 season and I caught him bringing a guy out of it!! At first he tried to lie and said tha he was fishing down stream from it but after going down and fishing the hole after him I knew better. I dont speak to this guy any more, is this just????

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Is it a zipperlip location? Is it in the fishing report in the local paper? Are there 40,000 boats already fishing it? Is it the Columbia River? Is it a small coastal river with a total steelhead run of 500-800 fish? Is it a local pond that gets 125,000 hatchery trout planted each year, or a nate fishery? Were you asked to keep it a secret by someone?

All these questions need to be answered before you post a report. As a courtesy, you could just ask your buddy if it's o.k.

Sometimes if you say the fishing is good on "X" river, everyone is going to know where to fish. Heck some rivers have very little fishable water.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Well, from my perspective it depends on the fishery. As WRO pointed out, if its a primarily native fishery that won't support heavy fishing I leave the name of the river out. As an example a little river I like to fish for nates typically sees 3-5 boats on any given day. Last year I fished this river 3 days in a row, a Saturday through Monday event. On the weekend I saw the usual number of boats but on Sunday someone posted a positive report here and on Monday there were at least 25 boats and it was hard to find a place to fish. :mad:

Now I'm always willing to share techniques and if I get to know you I'll be willing to take you along and row the boat but good Lord, lets not invite everybody and their neighbor to these delicate fisheries. A little common sense goes a long ways.

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
I say post areas, but not specific locations.

Save that for friends and family-- or... just yourself!

I think it takes a while to learn how and where to fish. That's part of the fun! Don't give it all away, unless you want to do a special favor for someone nice.

If that's the case, go pick them up and take them with you!

I spent years finding places that pay off for me. Not a chance I'm going to give that away. Not because I am into "zipperlips", but I want others to have the same wonderful experiences I did, finding them. It's part of the whole experience!

It's "hunting" and fishing, all in one!
:smile:
Jen

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I like what 5-cents said. Basically it depends on the situation. If someone posts asking for info about a particular river, like one they may be vacationing to or one they want to try with their kids, I will usually send a PM with anything I know to help them out. I usually tell what worked for me, and a general area of where I was fishing (i.e. high, low, etc.). I'd say size of river has a big thing to do with it also. I like to fish the Eagle Creek and the N. Fork Alsea for winter steelhead for example. Those are small bodies of water and I'm not soon going to spill my favorite spots on them to the general public. These rivers receive pressure, and I've found some spots that don't get much of that pressure for one reason or another. For those rivers, it only takes 1 or 2 people to be in "my spot" for it to be ruined for me due to a lack of space. Big rivers are different, they can hold a lot of anglers without causing too much trouble so why not spill the beans if fishing is good.

Here's what I do know, what you put into this board you WILL get back. If you give info to people, many times they will have some info for you later. This has happened to me a few times and because of it I will continue to do my best to help others out if I can because 1)I like to and 2)It pays back.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
I think a lot of folks have learned their lessons on this board regarding sharing specific spots to fish. I might do it by e-mail or like others said if it is a well known area to fish.

Shane I cannot believe you would not spill the beans about your 40 fish day and where you were. Bad form. :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I agree with 5 cents to a degree.

I think that you should be able to say you had a great day fishing while leaving out enough information to keep them guessing.

Just be careful of how much information you include in your post. Had a similar problem of losing a great public goose hunting area due to a report given by the Oregonian.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts