IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter steelhead season right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to start a topic where each of us could share a tip or two with the other members.

Without further delay, here's mine:

1) Always work the water close to shore first before wading right in, many times a fish is in close!

2) Ever get frustrated fishing a spin-n-glo when it twists up your leader and mainline?
Try placing a bead on top of the spin-n-glo. Just place it 1/2" or so up the leader and wedge it into place with a piece of toothpick. It will rarely tangle anymore!

HC

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok this might seem a litte obvious, but when drifting eggs, change bait as frequently as you can stand. It's a pain to always be changing bait with frozen fingers, but I can't tell you how many times I get hit within the first few casts after putting on new bait. Good Luck!

·
Registered
862 Posts
1. Wear studded boots!
2. If you are fly fishing: get deep, if you are not getting hung up on rocks every once in a while, then you are not deep enough.

Steelie28

3,877 Posts
Watch your line when drift fishing... Look for those subtle abnormal movements in you line.

Set the hook on anything that should honor a hook set. No one I know ever on a consistant basis catches a fish when they don't set the hook.

Many times we think we are just bumping along the bottom but while doing this we fail to set the hook on what would have been a fish that is very catchable if we would have just set the hook.

Tight lines & great fishing this winter.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice...looks like this is a topic most of us can relate to!

Keep the advice & tips coming!

HC

[ 10-29-2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: half canuck ]

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Learn holding water. If you catch a fish behind a certain submerged rock, keep a mental (or actual) diary. You'll find another one there later. IMHO knowing where to fish is as important or more important than knowing how to fish

·
Registered
175 Posts
Always work the water close to shore really hard in high water. Ordinarily less current that they have to fight. and learn how to retie quickly.

[ 10-29-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: bouyant minnow ]

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here's a tip....now listen up real close! I should wisper this because it's very important.

Take a novice/rookie fishing with you.
In most social settings the rookies have to do something to earn thier place, but must be shown the vocation by the old hands. So, in this case, all rookies should do the driving. And being a rookie, I'll volunteer to be first. Take me on a day fishing one of the north coast rivers, and I'll drive! I'll even go so far as throw in lunch, as long as you don't mind my makins. Since I'm bank bound, I'd love to get a day's mentoring from a bankie, but if you must take me in your boat, so be it :smile:

Anyway...it's just a thought.........

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
If the drift is short ("pocket water"), make only enough casts to cover the drift- then move on.

I see guys and gals spend 45 minutes in the same hole- when their drift gear has covered all of it 5 or 6 times.

MOVE and find fishies!

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
fish the bad casts

·
Registered
921 Posts
When you fish at dark-thirty in the morning or evening use glow-in-the-dark gear. I prefer red but green and blue work well also. If you use a camera flash to charge them DON'T face the water when you flash, turn around and cover the flash up as much as you can or you will scare every fish in the drift out. Plus everyone around you will know you are cracker.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Carry pre-tied rigs when drift fishing. You'll spend more time in the water where the fish are and less time tying rigs while fishing.
Wrap them around a short piece of foam pipe insulation and they fit right in your vest pocket.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thanks Grantspastor....if I ever make it down there, I'll take you up on the offer. An if you ever get up this way, look me up

[ 10-29-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: wannacatchem ]

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What apeares to be a smolt nibbling,may not be.I've had steelies tap ever so slightly,you realy have to watch the bobber. :smile:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
(1) Go fishing. People who fish seem to catch more.

(2) Don't wade in cold water in chest waders with a leaky crotch.

(3) Don't stand shoulder to shoulder with folks unless people are currently catching fish.

(4) Keep smiling even though the newbie above you has crossed your line a couple of times. He'll figure it out eventually.

(5) If its a kid next to you, be on your best behavior. Treat him/her well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
if you can't afford to buy a $5-7k drift boat build one and the trailer too for around $3k and fish from it. needs an exterior paint job.
redneck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Frogpond: Can you explain your "bad casts" post? Do you mean, keep the line in the water even if your cast sucked? :shrug:

[ 10-29-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: fishbyte ]

1 - 20 of 59 Posts