IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reason to believe, there is at least one ghost net in Drano Lk. I was there yesterday and managed to avoid it due to the boat opertors privious experience with this particular menace. Two of the other fellow fisheren in the boat said they had not only lost lots of gear on it, but went over it with their fishfinders (in the last week or so) and consistantly graphed fish. The phantom mass of whatever is not solid looking (on the graph) and is said to have quite a bit of "give" to it when you hook into the thing. I fully realize there is an on-going Tribal fishery in Drano every Wednesday, but if infact this is a net? It should be removed regardless. Can we confirm this with the underwater camera again? Drano is nice and clear and calm too.
Anyone?
Pilar? Do you have any thing to say on this matter? What is the process we need to follow here? I can show you approximately where it is.
I hope we can get this thing taken care of.
Thanks,
Ragnar

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not posting that info prior. About midway between the boat launch and the rock point directly accross. The point that people somtimes fish from. Access is occasionally wet depending on water levels. Like over towards the hatchery road. That direction. How's that? Hope this helps.
Ragnar

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I wonder with a grappling hook if it could`nt be pulled up...there must be a goldmine of plugs on it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if you remember the ghost net they pulled out of the Powerline area earlier this spring,but there were some logistic issues with posession of a net without a permit. What if it accidentally got caught on a grappeling hook and was the towed to shore? What then? I don't know....... :shrug: :dance:
Be careful with that. That is somewhat of a sticky wicket. I'm sure it is choked full of goodies in addition to fish at all stages of decay. I did see a law enforcement vehicle and boat trailer parked in the Drano parking lot as we were leaving yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if they were in a marked or un-marked vessel. I don't recall seeing a gamie or police boat out there all day. Perhaps they were out in the Columbia Rv. itself?
Ragnar

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Thanks for the email alert, Geek. I might have missed it!

Ragnar, you don't have GPS coordinates? I'm really not sure what to do about this one. We haven't located any resources in Washington State as of yet. Since most of our focus has been on the Columbia River, we've been able to work within Oregon to find help.

Pilar? Thoughts? We're tied up for the next 3 weeks... :shrug:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry. No, I don't have GPS coodrdinates on that. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do here. Perhaps it will just disappear one night? :grin:

Ragnar

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I'd sure love to think that it will disappear on its own. I will contact the WDFW and the NW Indian Fisheries Commission for a start.

If anyone else gets up there and can spot this thing, please hammer the waypoint and post. That will be a huge help. The "authorities" don't like "ghost hunts" - pardon the pun. :hoboy:

·
Registered
84 Posts
20 years ago when the salmon shark and I started fishing drano they use to tie up logs up at the far end pilings with cables and when the stoped. the left the cables there for years after we would find them in the bottom of the lake all over the place mabe another one came up from the bottom and is hungry for " wiggle warts "
Gooey - Bob

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Maybe these guys can help. I'd love to see these removal protocols.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 8:08 AM
Subject: Derelict Fishing Gear Project Update

First, my apologies for not providing more frequent updates about the Northwest
Straits Commission's (NWSC) Derelict Fishing Gear Removal Project. I had good
intentions to write updates every month or two but the time just got away from
me.

The pilot project has been very successful and is nearly completed. Some of the
major accomplishments include:
> led by Jeff June, our project manager, safe removal and disposal protocols
were written
and have now been adopted by WDFW
> a database of known derelict fishing gear has been created and is being
updated
> a toll free "hotline" has been established for reporting derelict
fishing gear
> removal operations to test the protocols have resulted in the recovery of
over 11 tons of
crab pots and purse seine nets and over one mile of gill nets
> many educational meetings have been held about the problems of lost gear
> an educational video to promote further removals is nearly complete
> the NWSC and MRCs have committed $67,000 for further removals and are
actively
seeking additional funds

Attached is our most recent fact sheet about the project, which includes
additional information. This attachment and other information is also available
on our web site at www.nwstraits.org Thanks to all of you that have helped make
this project successful.
Tom Cowan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Northwest Straits Commission
10441 Bayview-Edison Road
Mt. Vernon, WA 98273
360-428-1084
http://www.nwstraits.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Drano is more than nets. Often when the Indians go in, they use a rock weight, tie a rope and buoy to it and use that as their anchor for set nets. When they leave, they cut the rope at the waters surface, and take the buoy. Herb Good (guide) recently snagged one of the ropes and got it pulled to the surface. Attached to the rope was about thirty wiggle warts. The ropes are not problems for fish, and I don't know how prevalent the problem is, but for folks who care so much (reportedly) about our environment, they could retreive their mess.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I saw what you were talking about today. Rather i snagged it. It does not seem to be just a rope and yes my graph showed a bunch of fish or something in it. Actually I was thinking I was trolling my herring through some fish waiting for a bite when I snagged it. It is about 100-150 yards off the launch going towards the narrow neck on the other side. It goes way up towards the surface. My dad has a camera but I don't know when we will be back there(Not many fish). If we do get back soon I will see what it is.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that Rock-on-a-String trick. Real nice huh? I guess only if youi're the person who finds it and gets all the gear.
I went ahead and called the WA Deralict Fishing Gear Hotline and apperantly the "message box" is full. Full?

I just left a message at WDFW Regional office in Vanc. with the Captain. So, hopefully he'll get back to me ASAP. I also mentioned the rock-on-a-string thing in regrd to boating safety. Anyone know how to get in touch with Herb Good? I'd like to talk with him on this matter.
Thanks,
Ragnar

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chromebright,
Great! Well, at least now someone else knows what and where. Sorry to hear about you getting tangled in that mess. No fun, I'm sure.
Well folks. That's about all from me for now. I'll be signing-off until Monday. Good luck and be safe out there. I'll keep you posted on any news regarding this matter.
Peace,
Ragnar the Berserker

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Last year I was trolling in the same area when I snagged up with a rope and rock. Thought I was going to score big time on Mag warts, but it seems that it doesn't take too long for the hooks to rust away, and all your left with is a rope with rusty hooks up and down it.

I was able to cleat off the rock and drag it to shore, so I wouldn't snag it again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts