IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
But they are adding a 22% surcharge to all orders. They say this way everyone will get a fair portion, including the back of house staff. This is crazy to me. What if the food is bad? What is the service is Bad. When did tipping become expected everywhere. Go to pick up a carry out and they want a tip, now they are just going to add an additional 22% onto your order and you have no say in it? I hope this is a trend that doesn't catch on.

Fully agree

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Comparable to the thread about someone complaining paying the extra 12$ Columbia river endorsement fee when they a pullin a 80k sled with a 100k truck. Get over it. Acting like someone's gotta gun to your head and making you do it. Choices people, choices

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Not comparable. The first is grouchy about extra fees, that may not make sense. TIPS were for service. Europe mostly does not tip. I have had some really bad service is some upscale places in especially Italy. They are getting service fee no matter the level of,service. If the food justifies 22% more money, then raise the price. But built in service fee? One that was for good service, now just a fee. Legal grouch.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
They post it in numerous places throughout the facility that you will see an upcharge on your final bill. It's not a surprise.
Went to local eatery recently Japanese where they cook your meal in front of you 20% tip required 6 people or more. At the end of the meal I had all the my salad soup and every other plate as well as everyone with me piled in front of me. Along with a empty water glass. Plenty of staff most on their cell phone!

300.00 dollar bill 60.00 dollar tip not a surprise but I won’t be back.

I prefer to tip for the service I received which was none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
2,015 Posts
Everyone likes to say "well I tip well!"

For every one of you who does, there are a shocking number who don't. I've lived through it back in my younger days. Work hard for that high maintenance table and go that extra mile for them and they leave you $1 tip. It's crushing.

Those days are long behind me, and I only go out (which isn't often) if I know I can afford a 25% or so tip for the servers. If that was built in, I'd have no issue with it. If the service was bad, the manager will hear about it. Just like every other service business we deal with where tips aren't customary.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
But they are adding a 22% surcharge to all orders. They say this way everyone will get a fair portion, including the back of house staff. This is crazy to me. What if the food is bad? What is the service is Bad. When did tipping become expected everywhere. Go to pick up a carry out and they want a tip, now they are just going to add an additional 22% onto your order and you have no say in it? I hope this is a trend that doesn't catch on.

Another participation award....
Sad in my opinion. Earn it if you want it..

·
Registered
409 Posts

sorry but i'm siding with the restaurant(s)...the industry has been ravaged by the vid...there are things they need to implement to survive. is it fair to have a customer stiff a place/person because they had to wait longer, or the quality was off because the place is struggling with staffing/revolving door of employees?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yes. They got the price of the meal. As to BD jr. maybe a $1 was a lot of money when you were waiting tables. Dating my wife, so maybe 1967, went to Paoli’s in San Francisco. Upscale place. 2 racks of lamb and a nice bottle of wine. Still remember the expensive $26 meal. 20% would have been about $5 then.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I see no purpose to adding 22% as a gratuity automatically. If the employees need an equitable division for total compensation, raise their wages and the menu prices. Then remove the tip option from credit card form. The IRS (and I assume Oregon dept of Revenue) all base taxable tips on the reported amount, in this case backed out at 22%. This is possible as almost no one pays with cash anymore, which was the hidden income of waitstaff of the past. Regular income and gratuities are taxed at same rate, no reason to add tip, just raise the price. In Washington B&O taxes could be an implication. I check the prices and selection on online menus before I go to most restaurants, tell me up front that gratuities are included.

Why 22%? Seems like an odd and arbitrary amount. If there is a justification for that rate it would seem it is a legitimate basis for raising prices to cover it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
is it fair to have a customer stiff a place/person because they had to wait longer, or the quality was off because the place is struggling with staffing/revolving door of employees?
They are getting paid a wage so they are not getting stiffed. Flip side of the coin, is it fair for the customer to have to pay more because they had to wait longer, or the quality was off etc....?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
tipping is just stupid period. It all started for some stupid racist crap. Where does it end. The rest of the world has it right.
Please enlighten us. That's a new take for me.

I remember my dad buying me a drink for the first time. When he paid the tab he said "If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to drink." That advice has served me well. I typically tip 20 or 25% because the math is easy ;>) Happy to do it when I'm being served. But I am annoyed that EVERYONE seems entitled to a tip just for showing up. If I have to stand in line to order it then pick it up myself, then no tip.

Copier guys don't really get tips. Hell, most of the time the customer will be eating a doughnut while telling you about the problem. You'd think by looking at me that Rickster must score a whole lotta free doughnuts. Not so much, really. But... if a customer did practice an act of generosity in someway, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel oppressed ;>)

·
Registered
409 Posts
They are getting paid a wage so they are not getting stiffed. Flip side of the coin, is it fair for the customer to have to pay more because they had to wait longer, or the quality was off etc....?
I understand & respect your position. I'm biased because I grew up in the industry and today have many close friends in the industry (owners/employees)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I'm paying for service by walking in the door, restaurant owners should pay their employees right, hold them accountable for their performance, and charge the right amount for the meal. Charging too little to get people in and then holding them up for "tips for good service" is bait and switch. I agree with Finn icky, salute and goodbye.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
One thing is if the business hides the 22% in the food prices on the menu it can lead to more distrust between workers and management. By having it as a separate surcharge on the bill it allows for transparency. Also it allows patrons who don’t tip and think the establishment should bill accordingly… well they are. But considering the labor shortage in that sector, it’s going to take a lot more than mandatory tips to get labor back working there.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
And who exactly is verifying that 22% reaches the staff?
If management is stiffing the staff, you would see their service decline because all their talent would leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
But that’s the craw isn’t, the best establishments draw the best talent so in turn are getting more customers due to food quality and service.

So the question remains, if you had the best server ever, hit every mark you had. But the food was awful. Do you tip for your service? It’s not the servers fault your food was bad. Everyone and their uncle wants to the same place as you. Server and food is on point, so you stiff the tip? You get a table right away and food is spectacular but the server was crap?

End of the day I would rather pay a surcharge for dining in and make the choice of dining in or take out with out the surcharge.

The good employees won’t hang around anymore to be mismanaged let them decide if they are being treated right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 87 Posts