IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are fishing in Portland Harbor on Saturday ... be VERY aware that at 11 AM, the following will slide into the river. Might be fun to watch, but it might also be very dangerous ... I'm sure the River Patrol, Sheriff and Coast Guard will be on hand.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Where is that? Looks like Gunderson. :whazzup:

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's Gunderson. I should have said so.

Do you think it'll make a splash? :grin:

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
Surf's up! Don't let the wake hit you broadside!

Jen

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Glad to see they're actually building something. The ways sat unused for a lot of years, with weeds growing and everything rotting. I figured their barge days were over. :smile:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Cool. We've been watching them paint it the last couple of weekends! Was wondering when they were going to let slide in!! Thanks, Pete.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I'd anchor up right below the chute. Might be a fun ride! :laugh:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Pete,

I was out with Bite-Me, Dennis Hull a few years back... not only did we watch them launch a similar barge, we got it on tape!

Plenty of patrol boats hanging around, keeping boats at bay. I kind of expected a bigger splash and swell, but it wasn't all that bad. Good crowd on the opposite bank chearing them on..Probably workers from Gunderson.

If you've never seen it, it's quite a site...

Scott

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it was exciting, but not spectacular.

But at least there are other joys about fishing Portland Harbor ... :depressed:

[ 05-03-2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the photos Pete. I think the third pic is more frightening than the second :depressed:

[ 05-04-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: ProCastinator ]

·
Registered
67 Posts
It was pretty cool to watch, I almost thought that the thing was going to hit the ship on the opposit side of the river. It was going at a pretty good clip. At the last seconds the tug in front got it slowed way down while the tug in back was pulling on it hard. I have never seen a launch of a ship or a barge like this, to me it was pretty cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts