IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to re-power my boat with a Yamaha Sho 150 or 175 main motor (both prop & jet). Talked to both Portland Marine Electronics and Clemens Marine…..both about the same in price.
Having a hard time deciding who to go with. Any pros or cons with either place?

· Registered
57 Posts
I bought my boat through clemens, the sales team was great out in Troutdale where I bought my boat. I had some warranty work done on the 99w clemens and they weren't the friendliest bunch and can't say I would go back. I also looked at the boat at that location and had it transferred to the other location to purchase it due to those reasons among others. If it were me I would go to PME which have been more than helpful with any questions I have contacted them with. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck

· Registered
943 Posts
Another vote for PME from me. Have had good experiences with both in the last month. Tipping point for me? Staff that I dealt with have boats - seem to relate a little better.

Appreciate how well both these two dealers seem to be able to process work efficiently- in and out on schedule.

· Registered
110 Posts
Don't know if they have Yamaha but the folks at Sportcraft were a pleasure to work with. Had hard starting Suzuki 200 and they worked to get me in and fixed on time and under estimate. Amazing service is hard to find these days, hence my plug for Sportcraft.

· Registered
629 Posts
I suggest buying local and building a relationship, but I did get a text from dealer in Woodinville and saw marked down Yamaha in Mt Vernon. They were big drop from September prices when I was working with them on potential upgrade. I don’t know what you were quoted but maybe they would match a price.

· Registered
202 Posts
Looking to re-power my boat with a Yamaha Sho 150 or 175 main motor (both prop & jet). Talked to both Portland Marine Electronics and Clemens Marine…..both about the same in price.
Having a hard time deciding who to go with. Any pros or cons with either place?
Try maxxum marine. It's not close but you might save.i know two friends that have bought new motors from them.

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Took my old motor to PME to get compression check & hour reading (the Yamaha 200hp HPDI checks out great!). Will sell it now and most likely return to PME for a new Yamaha Sho 175. It’s obvious they know what they are doing and I will get the correct setup…

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sold the HPDI two-stroke quickly and ended up going with PME. In the end I think it cost me a few more bucks but seemed worth it. Took it out this last Saturday for the initial break in and so far so good. Absolutely love the power and it’s so smooth & quiet (of course, I’m used to the 2-stroke). Thanks for the help and all the advice iFishers!
Water Watercraft Lake Boat Vehicle
Water Sky Tree Fluid Watercraft

· Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Be careful putting in at Milwaukie ramp with that shorty dock. There are some prop eating boulders right in front of your bow in that photo on the end of the dock. In high water you shouldn't have to worry too much, but you are much better off using the small beach to nose your bow up on to the north side of that ramp.... Trust me on this one. I've banged up my share of props down there.

Nice looking set up there....

Kirk

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be careful putting in at Milwaukie ramp with that shorty dock. There are some prop eating boulders right in front of your bow in that photo on the end of the dock. In high water you shouldn't have to worry too much, but you are much better off using the small beach to nose your bow up on to the north side of that ramp.... Trust me on this one. I've banged up my share of props down there.

Nice looking set up there....

Kirk
Thanks for the heads up on the rocks! I was surprised to see the short dock….not sure why they took part of it out. Will probably launch elsewhere next time.

· Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the rocks! I was surprised to see the short dock….not sure why they took part of it out. Will probably launch elsewhere next time.
They pull those longer sections of the dock in winter months because they catch too much debris and logs. Unfortunately its typically May or June before they put them back out there and the water skiing crowd takes over.

Try Cedar Oaks ramp in West Lynn. Very nice double ramp, and they don't pull their docks in winter. Fairly secure ramp too. Haven't heard of any parking lot vandalism or theft there either. There is some decent fishing water between Cedar Oaks and Milwaukie too once you learn the slots the fish hang in. I fish that area a lot for springers. Kirk

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice, I bet that thing boots scoots. A buddy put a 175sho on 20’ Hews prov. Man does it sound good and scoot. Congrats👍
Yes, absolutely flies with the prop. Got the 175hp as I will convert over to the jet for part of the year. Overkill with the prop, should be really good with the jet.
Oh, and the sound….so nice to hear compared to the previous two-stroke.👍

· Registered
617 Posts
They pull those longer sections of the dock in winter months because they catch too much debris and logs. Unfortunately its typically May or June before they put them back out there and the water skiing crowd takes over.

Try Cedar Oaks ramp in West Lynn. Very nice double ramp, and they don't pull their docks in winter. Fairly secure ramp too. Haven't heard of any parking lot vandalism or theft there either. There is some decent fishing water between Cedar Oaks and Milwaukie too once you learn the slots the fish hang in. I fish that area a lot for springers. Kirk
Cedars Oak dock gets pulled too. Still far superior to Milwaukie, but shorter this time of year, nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts