IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to here from those fishermen that have utilized a pontoon boat for steelhead/salmon fishing. Your experience's, your recommendation on boats, any negative experience's that you may have encountered, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
search the archives. this discussion has been had many, many times in the past. lots of great advice to be had.

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
hey moocher,

i'm all for conversation on ifish. it's just that there's so much good info in the archives, just sitting there off in a dark corner, ignored by people, feeling sorry for itself. :depressed:

this is one of those topics that has been so thoroughly covered in the past that there's little new information on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Harder for pulling plugs. Takes more weight to anchor.

Standing up is important but not mandatory in my opinion.

I have a 10' one person without a platform and a 12'- 2 person with a platform. The one with the platform is easier to fish from.

Lots of things happening in a one person boat -- makes it tough to fish from but not impossible -- just harder.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh, just checked your profile. Ok, I know who you are now. Ok, I'll try and do it tonight or tomorrow and give you a full detail. Not all boats are the same. Plus, it's a personal preferance on how you fish. Will give you full scoop via email.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
River, Iwas thinking more on the lines of using it to hip-hop down stream, more than a fishing platform. I also was wondering if a person can outfit a "toon", to troll, toss fly's in the salt for cutts and maybe an occasional Salmoniod. I see no reason why you can't or shouldn't do this other than in some area's you may not want to, because of the strong tides. Like the narrows bridge area. Anyone had any experience with this, comments are more than welcome

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My 12" Cat has an attachable motor bracket,that I use an electric for fishin the tidal areas around my house but you could easily add a small kicker as well.......tight lines Os

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
between osprey and steelheader69, you couldn't ask for more complete info on pontoons and catarafts.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
One thing to remember on deciding upon a boat. Pontoon boats are for transportation on rivers you should never anchor them in current and fish. Always pull to shore and get out to fish.
Last summer I saw a guy on the north lewis andhored in the middle of a run he probably didn't notice but from where I was the back ends of the tubes were almost in the water. i can imagine he probably came extremely close to being a submarine when he pulled the anchor up..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by rob allen:
One thing to remember on deciding upon a boat. Pontoon boats are for transportation on rivers you should never anchor them in current and fish. Always pull to shore and get out to fish.
Last summer I saw a guy on the north lewis andhored in the middle of a run he probably didn't notice but from where I was the back ends of the tubes were almost in the water. i can imagine he probably came extremely close to being a submarine when he pulled the anchor up..
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">..............not if you have real Boat10 " and bigger We call them cats........Os

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.