IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
illbfishin, as I responded on your previous poaching post:

Every report is catalogued. There are not enough officers to respond to every report. However, when its time for budget allocations, the number of reports will help set funding priorities to help ensure that significant areas of crime are adequately addressed. If no one reported poaching, there would be no officers to respond. If everyone reports all the poaching they witness, eventually there will be sufficient appropriations to fund enough officers to respond to a larger percentage of the violations.

Certainly it is frustrating when you witness a crime and you can't get an adequate response, but it is very important to make the report and equally important to understand that limited budgets means not all reports can be acted on.

Note also, that the River Patrol isn't the agency that is responsible for game violations. The State Police is the primary game enforcement agency in Oregon.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
find the guy, wrap one of my no-snagging shirts around his neck and choke him with it, just enough so he'll pass out. Just kidding!
Yes, keep reporting it, the more reports posted and recorded, the more likely funding will find it's way next year for enforcement.
GBS

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
It depends on if it is classified as a crime or a violation. In Oregon for example, an officer cannot issue a citation on a traffic violation unless he/she witnesses it. Now if it is a crime, the officer can arrest based on probable cause (just you witnessing is not enough though).

·
Registered
839 Posts
illbfish,

I think at some places and times -- Native Americans are allowed to fish two rods, and keep native fish -- don't know if this could be the situation here? :shrug:

:cheers:
Blind Squirrel

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do not know the answer to this question in Oregon.
Can a violation be written if the witness to the violation is willing to sign the complaint, and go to court and testify? I know from experience(and no I did not get cited) in Idaho you can do this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I observed poaching on the columbia river on Saturday. When I called the river patrol they took the information down ( the poacher was at the boat ramp at the time)& did nothing. The reason I know they did nothing is on Sunday the same guy was out doing the same thing. He didn't say a word. How do you stop this if no one will enforce the rules.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Did you report the guy a second time? You need to, so the law enforcement folks can hammer him with 2 counts of whatever violation you observed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The real problem was the two river patrol officers were standing in the parking lot talking not 150 yards from the guy pulling away from the dock. I'm sure if no citation was issued, but he was confronted he might have thought twice.
I would love to wrap more than a shirt around this guy but due to past experiences (& jail) & liability you can't do much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts